Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Page  Page 4 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#31 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 08:34
Bogiephil1:
CrimsonKidCK:
Reading this kind of material on the "royals" (which my darling wife is thrilled by) always leaves me feeling deeply grateful--to George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, etc.... --C.K.

Hotspur:
All very ENGLISH names!

And all very FORMER English subjects!

In fact all 56 names on the declaration of Independence are British and eight of the signatories were actually born in Britain. Keeping in mind that around 30000 German mercenaries were fighting on the British side, it could be said that the War of Independence was a victory for those of British stock. It was of course, only much later that the flood of Immigrants from places like Eastern Europe began.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#32 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 09:29
While predominantly English, there were other groups in the 13 colonies at the time of the Revolution, for example ,the Dutch in New York.
And don't forget the foreigners who aided the fight, like Lafayette and Von Steuben.
And then there were the people already here when the Europeans came!

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#33 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 10:48
Hotspur:
Bogiephil1:
CrimsonKidCK:
Reading this kind of material on the "royals" (which my darling wife is thrilled by) always leaves me feeling deeply grateful--to George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, etc.... --C.K.

Hotspur:
All very ENGLISH names!

And all very FORMER English subjects!

In fact all 56 names on the declaration of Independence are British and eight of the signatories were actually born in Britain. Keeping in mind that around 30000 German mercenaries were fighting on the British side, it could be said that the War of Independence was a victory for those of British stock. It was of course, only much later that the flood of Immigrants from places like Eastern Europe began.

From a purely geneological standpoint, that might well be true. It could also be said that it was a win for Americans of (primarily) British stock and an actual loss for Britain, no?

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#34 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 15:22
Redskinluver:
And then there were the people already here when the Europeans came!

That's the kind of statement I would expect from some called Redskinluver! Just joking - please don't it seriously.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#35 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 16:05
So let me get this straight. Since the colonists were primarily British, their victory in the Revolutionary War was essentially a win for England? Hmmmm, maybe had someone explained it that way to King George, he would have been more receptive to recognizing their independence?

I can see it now....

"Your Highness, General Cornwallis has just surrendered to Washington!"

"Ah, plucky stock those colonials, wot wot. Bully for them. Just shows what an Englishman can do when tested."

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#36 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 18:59
@kdpierre
I'm sure the Hanoverian king would have taken the side of those 30000 German mercenaries.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#37 | Posted: 11 Nov 2015 22:56
Hotspur:
Keeping in mind that around 30000 German mercenaries were fighting on the British side, it could be said that the War of Independence was a victory for those of British stock.

Redskinluver:
here were other groups in the 13 colonies at the time of the Revolution, for example ,the Dutch in New York.

There were units of German ancestry from Pennsylvania in the Colonial army. And so many of the troops were of Irish ancestry that Washongton allowed the army to celebrate St Patrick's day as a holiday.

Redskinluver:
don't forget the foreigners who aided the fight, like Lafayette and Von Steuben.

...and Pulaski, Kosciuszko and a host of others.

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#38 | Posted: 12 Nov 2015 01:13
Perhaps it might better be characterized as a war of ideas (or ideals) rather than between particular peoples or ethnicities...

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#39 | Posted: 12 Nov 2015 01:16
Hotspur:
@kdpierre
I'm sure the Hanoverian king would have taken the side of those 30000 German mercenaries.

Those European royal families were way too inbred, even then...

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#40 | Posted: 12 Nov 2015 16:20
My (German) wife has reminded me that the Supreme commander of the allied forces at the Normandy landings in 1944 was named Eisenhower. This is an Anglicised version of the German surname Eisenhauer. So I suppose, if I take my thinking to its logical conclusion, it follows that the the Second World War was a victory for Germany. It's stretching things a bit as he hardly won the war on his own and the Eisenhauer family apparently migrated from Germany to North America in the 18th century. The assertion is of course quite ridiculous so I will reluctantly have to join General Cornwallis and admit defeat.

Page  Page 4 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 12
DjZolt, modestguy80, myrkassi, sbw1900, sirdon, strictbutgentle, vedapierceotk
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9