The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Page  Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5 »»
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 5 Nov 2015 03:54
Enjoy the festivities everyone! For some reason this has always been my favorite among British holidays.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 5 Nov 2015 14:02
A day when some movie buffs (like me) drag out their copy of "V for Vendetta" for its annual viewing.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#3 | Posted: 5 Nov 2015 23:58
The oft used mildly sarcastic quote used being:
'Guy Fawkes, the last man to enter parliament with honest intentions.'

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 6 Nov 2015 02:58
kdpierre
A day when some movie buffs (like me) drag out their copy of "V for Vendetta" for its annual viewing.

Great movie. I just saw it again. I never looked up "Guy Fawkes." Can anyone care to give me a very quick and short explanation.

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 6 Nov 2015 09:01
Guy Fawkes was part of a group of English Catholics who conspired to assassinate the Protestant King James I of England (successor to the "Virgin Queen" Elizabeth I and the man who commissioned the King James Bible) by blowing up the House of Lords with a large amount of gunpowder. Fawkes was caught underneath the House of Lords guarding the explosives and was arrested. Later, he and his co-conspirators (the survivors) were tried for treason and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 6 Nov 2015 23:01
That celebration always has sounded a little strange to me. Be like if we had a Timothy McVeigh Day(Oklahoma City bombing 1995).
Or a John Wilkes Booth Day,Lincoln's assassin. Come to think it, some of our " the Confederacy was right,the South should have won" boys would probably like that idea!

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 6 Nov 2015 23:14
Redskinluver:
Be like if we had a Timothy McVeigh Day(Oklahoma City bombing 1995).
Or a John Wilkes Booth Day,Lincoln's assassin

The difference being that Guy Fawkes Night celebrates something that didn't happen, something prevented.

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 6 Nov 2015 23:17
Redskinluver:
That celebration always has sounded a little strange to me. Be like if we had a Timothy McVeigh Day(Oklahoma City bombing 1995).
Or a John Wilkes Booth Day,Lincoln's assassin. Come to think it, some of our " the Confederacy was right,the South should have won" boys would probably like that idea!

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/stuart-england/the-gunpowder-plot-of-1605

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 6 Nov 2015 23:19
It used to be a big thing down here. We called it Cracker Night, but people started doing silly things with fireworks and they were subsequently outlawed. Now it's just another day and only history buffs like myself really know anything about it.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#10 | Posted: 7 Nov 2015 04:41
But why the celebration? Was Guy Fawkes trying to do some good by blowing up the House of Lords? Maybe the USA should have a Benedict Arnold day.

Page  Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 12
DjZolt, modestguy80, myrkassi, sbw1900, sirdon, strictbutgentle, vedapierceotk
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9