Suspension of disbelief

Page  Page 5 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5
AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#41 | Posted: 2 May 2015 10:42
Alef:
when I asked in another thread some time ago if anybody could come up with a real example of a "wholesome" punishment spanking between, say, a parent and a teenager, the results were rather depressing.

It could be that teenagers are the age group least likely to accept a spanking in a positive spirit. They often have a feeling of alienation from their parents, and are desperate to be treated as grown-ups which spanking flies in the face of. The "wholesome" spanking requires maturity from the spankee, which means they would be less likely to earn a spanking in the first place!

Possibly too, the widespread spanking of teenagers is another myth, or at least an exaggeration of spanking fiction. I'm fairly sure when I was growing up, most parental spankings would have been given to younger children, and the spanking of teenagers was relatively rare.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#42 | Posted: 2 May 2015 14:23
AlanBarr:
It could be that teenagers are the age group least likely to accept a spanking in a positive spirit.

I think this another very good point, although the degree of mortification may to some extent be cultural - it is probably a good deal worse to be spanked if one thinks one is the only one than if it is seen as a natural part of growing up.
AlanBarr:
Possibly too, the widespread spanking of teenagers is another myth, or at least an exaggeration of spanking fiction.

This could very well be. I know of a couple of instances where teenagers were spanked when I grew up (although spanking, even of children, was definitely on the way out), but that was in very conservative families and for what was obviously seen as quite serious offences. We Europeans tend to regard the US as the haven of teenage spanking, so perhaps our American friends can help us find how common this phenomenon is (or used to be)?

wooz1111
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#43 | Posted: 3 May 2015 23:37
I thought, as a teenage boy, that I was the only kid in my age group ever spanked. Still, when I went into the US Army, I heard many tales of spankings other high school kids endured, mainly boys of course. I can only assume that this activity is simply something that boys don't want to share with anyone except their best friend. Or perhaps not even a trusted friend. Still, trust that it definitely did happen back in the 50s and possibly even more often in earlier decades. Another thing, spanking is a rather tame definition considering what would happen to a teen boy back in the day. Usually it was a strapping of some sort but I did hear women say they would spank their latter teen sons so who really knows what all may have happened behind closed doors way back when ...

Page  Page 5 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 6
bjones111, knicks604, ramm77, tsh1
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9