LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Old Fashioned Words

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3
opb
Male Author

England
#21 | Posted: 27 Apr 2014 07:30
Like Jimi, I recall my Dad using "lairy" with exactly the same meaning, and I used it in a story here.
Buxom is very nice, the sound of the word suggests its meaning as well which is always a bonus

myrkassi
Male Author

Scotland
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 28 Apr 2014 12:38
One of my favourite obsolete words is 'stolch' - which means 'to march or tread heavily over marsh or boggy ground'. It's onomatopoeic - the 'st-' representing the sound of the foot hitting the ground, and the
'-olch' the sucking sound of it being pulled out of the mud! I haven't been able to work it into a story yet - marshes aren't ideal territory for spankings.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#23 | Posted: 28 Apr 2014 14:21
Okay, we're going back a few years but when I was a child it was quite common to hear older people using yourn instead of yours. Unbeknownst (without one's knowledge) and spiffing (meaning excellent and often used by upper-class toffs) are other words which seem to have dropped out of use.

thereader0987
Male Author

USA
#24 | Posted: 28 Apr 2014 18:53
I quite like Balderdash- senseless, stupid, or exaggerated talk or writing; nonsense.

Thanks for all the responses, maybe I'll have to work some of them into real conversations and bring them back into use!

nswitch/thereader0987

barb
Female Member

USA
#25 | Posted: 28 Apr 2014 20:12
Speaking of old words. I just used one in a comment. I'm telling my age for sure. I commented that a story was a "hoot", which means it is funny, but it is also outdated! I am sure I use a lot of words like this - how embarrassing.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#26 | Posted: 28 Apr 2014 23:50
George R.R Martin, the author of A Song of Ice and Fire (the books that the HBO TV show Game of Thrones is based on) is rather fond of sprinkling old fashioned words or sounding sayings in his narratives. Nuncle (another way of saying uncle) is a favourite, last book he discovered neeps, and everything that had been a turnip became a jeep and he kept using the phrase must needs all over the place.

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 12
ahowell208, anpedant, Clarity, Dave, Heike, Heroth, lasttry, Redwolf64, stevenr, ThomasPetersen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9