LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

No more updates to Win XP after April 8th 2014

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
Often123
Male Member

USA
#21 | Posted: 12 Apr 2014 18:57
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes, I agree with Guy's comments" "It's all about planned obsolescence and extracting treasure from your wallet." Sure, I can see a company wanting increased revenues, and wouldn't mind the upgrades as much if they were real improvements overall.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 12 Apr 2014 19:24
The irony with Microsoft is that they've made a lot of their profits to date by selling poor quality shoddy software and then offering a slightly improved version for a further bunch of money. I'd argue that prior to XP, Microsoft's operating systems were barely fit for purpose. Windows XP isn't great either and personally I switched off "updates" the day I installed it but providing you don't mind rebooting every few days I guess it's usable and certainly preferable to the abomination that is Vista. Then we have Windows 7 which for me personally offers no advantage over XP, others may see things differently of course. Windows 8 is another nightmare presumably motivated by Microsoft watching on the sidelines while significant numbers of people bought touch screen devices that were running alternative operating systems. Eventually Microsoft were forced to offer Windows 8.1 to appease those (the majority) who hated the interface but still of zero interest to someone like myself who only uses Windows less than 5% of the time.

Anyway, apparently just under 30% of those using Windows are still using XP so it's hardly obsolete.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#23 | Posted: 12 Apr 2014 20:46
I'm still using XP Professional. I like it the way it is. It's the upgrades like Word with all the stupid bells and whistles and conglomerated BS it comes with. MS tends to fix things that aren't broken. They end up reinventing the wheel and making it OVAL. You're right though, Febs.

Often123
Male Member

USA
#24 | Posted: 16 Apr 2014 07:57
I just made the change to Win 8 and 8.1, and quite frankly I preferred XP a lot more. Skip the bells and whistles and the stuff for touchscreens. UGH!

smeple
Male Author

USA
#25 | Posted: 16 Apr 2014 14:51
I still use my trusty Banana Junior 6000. Works great!

http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/the-banana-junior-6000-computers-and-comedy/

rachelredbum
Female Author

USA
#26 | Posted: 16 Apr 2014 15:44
I remember the Gene Simmons / Banana Computer ad

I did not switch to windows from dos until the year before win95 came out. I remember some of the taglines favoured by myself and other desqview users:
Speed kills. Use Windows
Friends don't let friends use Windows

I am using windows 7 now.

Often123
Male Member

USA
#27 | Posted: 18 Apr 2014 06:40
Will Win 9 be a further monstrosity or will Mr. Gates finally hear the outcries?

opb
Male Author

England
#28 | Posted: 18 Apr 2014 06:57
Like others I only moved away from dos to Win3.1 about the time Win98 appeared, and only yesterday I had to open a dos window to do something which XP wouldn't allow me to do.

barb
Female Member

USA
#29 | Posted: 3 May 2014 14:53
Does anyone know what is going on with Microsoft and Windows XP? There were not suppose to be any updates after April 8. I got 4 on April 9 and another one today (May 3). Has anyone else received a recent update? I don't understand. Thanks.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#30 | Posted: 3 May 2014 15:10
barb,

Anyone who hadn't received the final updates were sent them. I received the same.

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 6
Daddyjeffrey78, GivanTake, spankingdude
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9