The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

An interesting profession in 1905

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 26 Jan 2014 21:43
There were vandals, gangs, violence, and drug problems back in 1905. Back then the drug of choice was booze and there wasn't a minimum age, and every drug that existed was available to buy (if you had the cash). Some combined booze and an opium extract in a "wine" that really got you there.

Back in those days, a teenager who broke the law and got caught got hung, imprisoned, or joined the army. The ones that weren't caught became career criminals. Prohibition might have made the gangs rich but all those gangs fighting over the bootlegging business existed before there was real money in it.

The "proper" people acted more civilised back then. You wore gloves and it wasn't uncommon to see a woman wearing a veil. As for the unwashed in the shanty towns, they were in a different world.

I'm sorry if I'm harping on this, but "the good old days" is one of me pet peeves. They weren't that good - and I'm glad I didn't live through them.

Goodgulf

DarkRiver
Male Member

Canada
#12 | Posted: 26 Jan 2014 22:13
Well I posted this link mainly because I liked how she decided to supplement her income and I wouldn't mind working in such a line either. *shrug* I'm not saying I'd want to live in 1905... I wouldn't but at the same time I can't help but look at our "modern" age and think that things aren't much better in terms of raising children. At least where I live it's ultra-permissive and most children don't even show even the simplest politeness.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 26 Jan 2014 22:52
There are those of us that wouldn't mind working in the sort of institute where corporal punishment was once used, and I did enjoy reading the article, but I don't see corporal punishment as a panacea for today's youth.

It is possible to raise well behaved children who become polite adults without resorting to corporal punishment (or using it only rarely), but that means devoting the time and energy to do so. Too many people expect the schools to parent their children and can't understand why their children are out of control.

Popular culture is partly to blame for the loss of manners. When you see a well behaved, well mannered person in most movies, it is almost always:
a) a villain with elitist views, or
b) someone who just needs to loosen up and enjoy life.

We no longer aspire to be polite, well mannered people and our children pick up on that, which means the glue that holds civilisation together (manners) is slowly fading away.

Goodgulf

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 27 Jan 2014 03:09
Goodgulf:
Some combined booze and an opium extract in a "wine" that really got you there.

I believe that was called "laudanum" and you're right, it was quite popular and was widely available. If you've ever seen "The Shootist", when John Wayne is diagnosed with cancer by his doctor (James Stewart), the doctor hands him a bottle of from a cabinet and says he will need it for the pain.

ordalie
Female Member

France
#15 | Posted: 27 Jan 2014 03:12
Goodgulf:
We no longer aspire to be polite, well mannered people

How can you say that?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 27 Jan 2014 06:38
The bulk of the population no longer seems to value manners, politeness, or etiquette. Seriously, name the last movie or TV show that you saw that promoted those values. Well mannered types are either portrayed as elitist snobs or people who have to be taught to let it all hang loose - to relax and enjoy life.

And pop culture is leading the rest of us down the uncultured road. At one point polite company wore gloves, dressed for dinner, etc - and now you're considered polite company if you have a vague grasp of etiquette.

Goodgulf

DarkRiver
Male Member

Canada
#17 | Posted: 27 Jan 2014 12:15
When I was younger my parents taught me to say please and thank you. As I grew older I did it because I liked being polite to my family and friends. While I didn't write thank you notes for gifts I did say "thank you" to the giver and made sure they knew how much I appreciated the item.

My niece's and nephew's children don't do this... mainly because most of their parents don't even acknowledge that a gift/card was given.

I never begrudged giving a gift for a special occasion, I do mind not even having the gift acknowledged. Even if the acknowledgement was something like, "This gift is for little kids!" at least I know they'd seen it and made some sort of evaluation about it.

My youngest great niece finds nothing wrong in telling an entire room full of adults that, "I want a quiet room now, it's time to listen." I realize that she's mimicking a teacher but I can't even imagine doing something like that when I was young.

blimp
Male Author

England
#18 | Posted: 27 Jan 2014 15:26
Goodgulf:
We no longer aspire to be polite, well mannered people and our children pick up on that, which means the glue that holds civilisation together (manners) is slowly fading away.

I think most of us do aspire to be polite. However we are not as polite in this country as we were fifty years ago. I remember being told to always raise my cap when I saw a lady and to always offer my seat on a bus or train. I think the trouble is some people opt out so when you open a door for someone and they don't as much as bother to even grunt back at you, you wonder why you bothered in the first place. Politeness is something we were taught from an early age, mainly by parents but by the schools we attended as well. Of course you can take it too far. All that foolishness about not resting your elbows on the table, not shoveling your peas and not dipping your digestive biscuits in your tea I ignore but not the rest. As Goodgulf says it is the glue that binds us!

bendover
Male Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 00:30
blimp:
when you open a door for someone and they don't as much as bother to even grunt back at you, you wonder why you bothered in the first place.

I can relate to this big time. Some people demand respect, but they forget that 'respect is earned.'

gail
Female Author

Canada
#20 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 00:54
bendover:
Some people demand respect, but they forget that 'respect is earned.'

Some people have that old-fashioned dignity, politeness (sic) and an aura of humanity; I find their simple presence and manner brings out the best in me and I respond as we used to in the old days...and I feel spiritually so much better ! It's that sense of courtesy and respect which resonates so wonderfully.

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 12 : Guests - 6
AlanBarr, badlad, canth256, Howabout, jimisim, kerrsutherland, ldbill, mobblers, Ree, stevenr, strictbutgentle, Toewser
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9