library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Is there a difference between...

ordalie
Female Member

France
#1 | Posted: 27 Dec 2013 10:11
I'm reading Jack Crawford's "Twelve Days Of Christmas" and I can read: "He had thought the tawse was heavy but this was another heavier weight altogether".
So I'm asking you, good and expert people, if you can confirm there's such a difference.

mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
#2 | Posted: 27 Dec 2013 13:24
Yes, I believe the efficient Scots used to grade their tawses like clothes, you could get light, medium, heavy and extra-heavy with differing number of thongs.

myrkassi
Male Author

Scotland
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 27 Dec 2013 13:29
Lochgelly tawses were made in several different weights, identified by a letter on the handle end L = light, M =medium H = heavy and XH = extra heavy. I've heard rumours of a few XXH (or even heavier) tawses being made for young offenders institutions, 'approved' schools etc, but I don't know if they're true. Since cowhide is a natural material there are natural variations between one cowhide and the next, so one tawse may not be exactly the same weight as another of the same letter.
Razor strops also come in varying weights, according to manufacturer, model etc.
So the answer to your question is yes, there could be such a difference - but there are also heavy tawses that are heavier than a light razor strop!

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 28 Dec 2013 02:47
First. Thanks to myrkassi for an accurate and succinct description of all things tawse. There are indeed such heavy weight monsters lurking deep in the bottom of many play bags as well as displayed as warnings and promises on the walls of many a play room. The heavy weights your referring too are mainly tools of the institutional variety of days gone by. Inmates were subject to their use under heavy supervision and are part of the reason corporal punishment went out of style in prisons many years ago. These days you only see them used with very heavy masochists. The cream de la cream of pain junkies toys. Approach with caution and respect.

I own an authentic 1928 razor strop in it's original box with papers. I would only consider it as a 'medium' on the scale and it can become a 'light weight' if you choke up on it and only use the tip.

Lovely discussion topic. Hope we get more responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin!

ordalie
Female Member

France
#5 | Posted: 28 Dec 2013 05:31
How silly of me, I didn't give the second term of the comparison (I heard someone coming near and sent the question quickly).
So "this" was a barber's strop. Wiki's definition: "a flexible strip of leather or canvas used to straighten and polish the blade of a straight razor".
Thanks to twisted8 and myrkassi for their comments.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 28 Dec 2013 12:26
I've got several tawses and a couple of razor strops. The strops are certainly heavier than almost all the tawses, and longer too; it would be difficult to use them otk. One's a strip of tan leather backed by a strip of canvas: 'T NOONAN & SONS, Boston, Mass'. The other is a double strip of dark brown leather, inscribed: 'FLEX-TAN GENUINE Butt Hide HAND FINISHED' - rather appropriate, I've always thought....

Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 5
mobblers, writerinks
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9