The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

In Flanders Fields

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 11 Nov 2013 00:15
On this day*, let's take a few minutes to remember those who served, and sometimes died, fulfilling their duty to their countries, but also to contemplate the oftentimes senseless and futile enterprise that is war.

In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

- John McCrae

* Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, or Veteran's Day, depending on your custom

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#2 | Posted: 11 Nov 2013 10:13
A timely reminder of what yesterday and today were and are about. Equally poignant is the Kohima Memorial, (Kohima being the battle in Burma that finally turned the tide against the Japanese):

"When you go home tell them of us and say:
'For your tomorrow we gave our today.'"

barb
Female Member

USA
#3 | Posted: 11 Nov 2013 15:47
Thank you for that very beautiful offering, Rick. I want to send my best wishes to all the Veterans who are a part of the LSF and know that I am thinking about how many have passed, which include several members of my family.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#4 | Posted: 11 Nov 2013 15:56
I'm a veteran and give thanks to Veterans Day, but not to only my own country, but to all those who fought alongside America in an attempt to keep peace where there would be none. Today is a day to remember all those military men and women who gave up years of their lives to serve no matter what continent.

Thanks for that lovely thought, Rick.

Often123
Male Member

USA
#5 | Posted: 12 Nov 2013 08:06
Thanks, Rick. I'm also a vet, as were both of my brothers. The poem was one of my mother's favorites.

westviking
Male Member

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 12 Nov 2013 09:06
It was yesterday 95 years since WW1 ended. We have to remember all fallen soldiers, seamen and airmen in WW1, WW2 and all war before and after.
We have also to remember The Resistance men and women fighting against Das Dritte Reich from the fjelds in Norway to the Buy of Biscay.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#7 | Posted: 12 Nov 2013 11:25
We should also remember all civilian casualties of war.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 12 Nov 2013 14:33
I celebrated by calling my father, my favorite Vet, soon to be 89 and a Naval Vet in the South Pacific during WW II.
I often wonder why so many governments are so keen on going to war?
Islandcarol

bendover
Male Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 12 Nov 2013 14:38
islandcarol:
I often wonder why so many governments are so keen on going to war?

I agree, IC. However, in our own country they tend to stick their nose where it doesn't belong. Then the allies end up caught up in it, which means even greater loss of life. Very sad.

sixofthebest
Male Member

USA
#10 | Posted: 12 Nov 2013 22:01
I am a veteran, and I dedicate this poem that I wrote to all my fellow veterans. "Some men laugh, and there are some that cry. There are men that live, and there are those that die. Fear have some, and others are brave. Many of these now lay in their grave. Some will not wave, for they have lost a hand, Others will have no leg on which to stand. Eyes that have seen the Almightys beauty, will have been lost by some in the call to duty. Yet they'll come home these men of arms. Home to their cities, towns, and farms.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 8
abelard, andres, asanders, Dufus, jimmy23473, mobblers, rdave, spanker30
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9