LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Historical spanking startle

Page  Page 2 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#11 | Posted: 18 Aug 2013 21:30
What is general knowledge to one person/nation/ethnic/religious group may well be a complete mystery to another. I enjoy quiz shows and often have to stop myself berating the contestants for not knowing something I consider obvious.

That said, I couldn't help a chuckle at the following:

Question: Who was assassinated in Dallas in 1963 by Lee Harvey Oswald?
Contestant's answer: J.R. Ewing.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 04:41
Seegee:
My wife then had to whisper in my ear 'He doesn't know who Marie Antoinette is.'

Then off with his head!

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#13 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 05:42
bendover:
Why would she need a spanking?

No one answered the question and I think it is a good one....why did or would he send that message, or is this just a piece of information that "they" say happened but there is no proof?

There are many people from various countries not so well known around the world that are never heard again once they are out of the action. For example I would bet most people could name at least one or two generals in W.W.2 from Britain or USA, but how many of us can name a Canadian general of the same time period?

I for one know nothing about the vast majority of hockey players, and would not recognize one if he sat down beside me. As a Canadian one would think I should know but don't and am not interested in learning either. So the brother in law should not feel bad, if he has no interest in history, why keep such things in ones head when perhaps he is interested in mathematics or art, or even spankings...LOL

Same goes for famous actors today. If the subject comes up at a party I have no idea or clue who people are talking about. I may have seen the movie but I have no idea who starred in the show and have no desire to learn. I have been in NY and LA and someone has said, "Oh look there is so-and-so". Needless to say I had no idea of which person to look at amongst the crowd, never mind who they were talking about.

Famous people are only famous to those who care to learn about them and have an interest in what they do. Some like the Roosevelt's are known for their position they held and always be known among history buffs and school teachers.

opb
Male Author

England
#14 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 08:39
I am similar to you in that respect CS. "Popular culture" passes me by completely.
In fact I was only saying to my wife this morning (in response to a radio article) that I wouldn't recognize a picture of Ed Milliband if I saw one (Well, I'd recognize it as a picture, just not be able to identify the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition). I would be able to identify the Prime minister though (just about).

Hotspur
" identify Nelson and Graça just as easily."

And I thought it was Nelson & Emma Hamilton anyway.

sixofthebest
Male Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 13:11
Sad to say, many people know the latest gossip, on the sport, and entertainment stars, but know very little about the worlds history, and geography. Example. Who knows the former name of the Sandwich Islands. Name the grandson of Joseph Wedgewood, the famous pottery maker. Without looking it up on the internet. Reward. Six of the Best, if you know. Twelve of the Best, if you don't. Just asking regular trivia questions.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#16 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 14:01
sixofthebest:
Name the grandson of Joseph Wedgewood, the famous pottery maker.

Yes I did have to look it up on the Internet but I knew to look for Josiah Wedgwood!

Josiah Wedgwood married Sarah Wedgwood (a third cousin). Together, they had seven children including Susannah Wedgwood (1765–1817) who married Robert Darwin.

Robert Darwin was the son of Erasmus Darwin and his first wife Mary Howard.

Susannah Wedgwood and Robert Darwin were the parents of the English naturalist Charles Darwin.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 19:31
canadianspankee:
No one answered the question and I think it is a good one.

Thanks, CS.

KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#18 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 20:20
I agree mostly but not totally. There're names and names. We should be able to recognize at least those that were taught to us in the high school and I think that the Queen beheaded by the French Revolution is one of them. You also don't have to be an expert in American or South African History to recognize names like Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy, Mr. and Mrs. Roosevelt and at least the given name or surname of the South African hero and former president.

I also would expect when casually chatting with someone not to receive a blank look if I mention things widely discussed in all media of the country I and my interlocutor live in.

Of course as soon as we leave the "common knowledge" field (and "common knowledge" can of course vary from country to country or even from city to city) it will all depend on our interest, professions and hobbies.

KJM

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 21:15
There is still the question of what one person considers important and another doesn't though. My BIL doesn't know the name of the French queen beheaded by the Revolution, he probably paid no more than enough interest in history to squeak by with a pass, however if you asked him who won the 1953 VFL Grand Final that he could tell you, he'd probably also know the winning margin, who kicked the most goals and who won the Norm Smith medal for best on ground.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#20 | Posted: 19 Aug 2013 22:23
Seegee:
My BIL

BIL? I looked it up on the Internet which directed me to the Banque Internationale à Luxembourg. I quickly logged off. You never knows who might be looking over your shoulder.

Page  Page 2 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 14
adrimc88, freewilly, Nobmeister, Smachtai, wooz1111
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9