Constancy

Page  Page 4 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 20 Jul 2013 17:48
blimp:
I did actually cheer on Chelsea against Bayern Munich when they surprisingly won the Champions League the season before last.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

Not only that but you've forced me to post my all-time favourite Chelsea moment (excluding the sudden appearance of the dork with missing teeth half way through)

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#32 | Posted: 20 Jul 2013 17:49
opb:
does he compare to Don Bradman, whose batting average (the measure of success in the batting phase of cricket)

We're talking sports here, not insects.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#33 | Posted: 20 Jul 2013 18:51
njrick:
We're talking sports here, not insects.

I can't quite see the difference. We were talking about Leeds...

blimp
Male Author

England
#34 | Posted: 21 Jul 2013 12:52
Februs, I remember that spot kick well. I felt for the guy despite wanting him to miss. I know one Man Untd fan who switched the telly off and went to bed in a huge sulk moments before that kick was taken. He didn't find out until several hours later that Man United had actually won.

I know John Terry has his faults but he never hides. I have respect for the man!! Wonder how many times he has thought about that penalty miss? At least he hasn't made a crappy pizza advert about it!

mati
Female Member

Germany
#35 | Posted: 29 Jul 2013 17:10
Alef:
Well, you can just tell them that Germany is still the best team and in all likelihood will win the tournament

You have been so right.

blimp
Male Author

England
#36 | Posted: 29 Jul 2013 23:11
mati:
You have been so right.

What is it with you Germans, Mati!! I spent the whole of that match, which was admittedly excellent, cheering on Norway! Two missed penalties!! Goal ruled offside! If I was Blatter I should ban all German teams of both genders for the next ten years just to give the rest of us a chance! If that sounds like sour grapes I am sorry but you don't know what it's like losing all the time! Thank goodness they don't play cricket!!!

mati
Female Member

Germany
#37 | Posted: 30 Jul 2013 07:31
blimp:
What is it with you Germans, Mati!!

We are sore losers and as we can't bear to lose we try to win.

I don't know the exact reasons as I'm not really an expert in this area, but spontaneously I have two points in mind. First we have been always jealous about the sportive results of east Germany and I think after the reunification we took over many elements of their elite promotion. And after the EM-desaster in 2000 the clubs started a support programme. They are sending observers to all regional clubs who are screening very young players and try to find out the most talented. These children get the chance to attend special sport schools and training camps very early. Many of our best players like Gomez, Müller, Özil, Boateng, Neuer were participants of these elite schools. Neuer was only six years when he started training at an elite camp! I don't know if this is good or bad. It may be healthier to invest the money for the broader mass of children. But then again the chance to get this promotion might stimulate many young boys and girls to attend football clubs and work hard.

blimp
Male Author

England
#38 | Posted: 30 Jul 2013 19:36
mati:
We are sore losers

I know one shouldn't generalise but I have always thought the German's poor winners rather than poor losers. To use a much quoted line, apparently spoken by a German commentator in 1999, when it appeared Bayern Munich were about to add a Champions League trophy to their already bulging trophy cabinet. There were of course only two minutes to go and Bayern lead 1-0 if you remember the match.

"And once again a German team has proved superior to an English team!!"

Of course he was wrong, if he ever said it in the first place, which was nice but it is that arrogance, that supreme confidence that makes our rare victories all the sweeter and the defeats, well just don't mention them!!

mati
Female Member

Germany
#39 | Posted: 30 Jul 2013 20:35
blimp:
There were of course only two minutes to go and Bayern lead 1-0 if you remember the match.

Yes, I vaguely remember that game. ManU shot 2 goals in the last few minutes and won. Well, we are probably poor losers and poor winners. But only the men!

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#40 | Posted: 30 Jul 2013 21:57
mati:
Man U shot 2 goals in the last few minutes and won

I remember it well..

Page  Page 4 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 7
kenjperr, ldbill, ntytina, rindom, stevenr, thegrumpytele
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9