The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

He Stopped Loving Her today!

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Wheatwine
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 26 Apr 2013 18:08
Country singer George Jones passed away today at age 81. He had been hospitalized at the Vanderbilt Medical center a few days ago. He is perhaps best known for the song, "He Stopped Loving Her Today," for which he won a Grammy in 1980. I not a big fan of country music, but this a powerful song, especially if you've ever loved someone and lost them, but you didn't stop loving them. Mr. Jones was married four times, and perhaps the song was about someone that he loved and lost. He sang it with such feeling that I suspect this was the case. It is my prayer that he will find a peace and happiness in the next life that he never seemed to find in this one.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 26 Apr 2013 18:56
At times like this, a certain song comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3GgoLtlWk

It has a nice set up for the song, but if you're feeling impatient the music starts at around the 1:25 mark.

Goodgulf

bendover
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 26 Apr 2013 18:57
RIP George. I remember his pet name and the song by the same title. No Show Jones. Yes, he was a great performer. Yes, who's gonna fill their shoes? I'm a more 'Classic Country' and 'Oldies' fan than a lot of today's country and rock music.

Wheatwine
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 26 Apr 2013 19:11
bendover
When I listen to country, I'd rather listen to someone like Johnny Cash or Patsy Cline, or maybe one of the early rockabilly stars like Carl Perkins.
He got the name No Show Jones because he missed a lot of performances. Most of this was probably due to his problem with alcoholism and cocaine addiction.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 26 Apr 2013 21:15
Wheatwine:
Most of this was probably due to his problem with alcoholism and cocaine addiction.

His addictions were beyond a "problem", they damn near killed him. Which is why it's shocking he made it to 81.

I remember him mostly for his duets, which (along with lots of other music of many types) it's fair to say I grew up to.

JessicaK
Female Author

Canada
#6 | Posted: 27 Apr 2013 06:18
Just got back from a Leonard Cohen concert - he sang Choices in tribute to George Jones. Remarkable.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 27 Apr 2013 12:31
JessicaK:
Just got back from a Leonard Cohen concert

Did he sing 'Hallelujah,' or does he just leave that one to others?

JessicaK
Female Author

Canada
#8 | Posted: 27 Apr 2013 14:47
Guy - he did sing it, the extended version. It is so much more clearly a religious song when he sings it. That's one of the things I find the most fascinating about his work, poetry too - it works on the literal level, but there are so many layers of depth to it. David is one of the great tragic figures of the Bible, and that's usually elided.

And damn, I want to be like Leonard Cohen when I'm 78.

Saradora
Female Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 28 Apr 2013 00:50
I love country music; it tells stories about life, relationships, and to quote Merle Haggard, it also tells stories about mama, trains, prisons and rain. George Jones' "He Stopped Lovin Her Today" is actually the basis for a story I've been working on for some time. I don't need to know about all the problems Mr. Jones had in life; I just liked his music. He was one of the great ones and is already missed.
~Sar~

tamlynn
Male Member

Canada
#10 | Posted: 28 Apr 2013 20:41
I'm more partial to "The race is on" era. Do you think he and Tammy have started fighting already? A fellow once told me that he had gone to see George and was disappointed he only played 45 minutes. I replied hell most nights he does'nt even show up.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 7
Brandywine1, KevinGyles, mattspare18
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9