library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Help with understanding an English abbreviation please!

mefromdenmark
Male Member

Denmark
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 20 Dec 2012 15:45
I have got an Australian TV series on DVD (The Flying Doctors) an one episode - Series IX · Episode 216 #9.24 - is titled: "Trouble with M.E." and with the description: "Rowie and Guy find themselves at loggerheads when they disagree over the diagnosis of a patient. Rowie believes it must be a symptom of an underlying physical illness, but Guy is adamant he is suffering from stress. The animosity towards each other makes their colleagues feel very uncomfortable."

What stands the abbreviation "M.E." in the title for?

I have search the Internet (and also tried Acronyms at "The Free Dictionary" by Farlex http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/) and found many different meanings of M.E., but I think it here could mean "Medical Education". Is this correct?

Thank you in advance!

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 20 Dec 2012 15:50
Never seen or even heard of the show, and I'm an American so there's certainly a difference in colloquialisms but could it stand for "Medical Examiner"?

nibra
Male Author

England
#3 | Posted: 20 Dec 2012 16:00
As I understand it M.E. stands for "chronic fatigue syndrome." This is another name for the kissing disease of teenagers.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 20 Dec 2012 17:14
nibra:
As I understand it M.E. stands for "chronic fatigue syndrome." This is another name for the kissing disease of teenagers.

No, the so-called 'kissing disease' is glandular fever or infectious mononucleosis. M.E., used in a medical context, will most likely refer to myalgic encephalomyelitis, which is also called chronic fatigue syndrome as you suggested.

Dr Febs

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 9
njrick, Seegee, spanker30, stevohammer
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9