Female Member

France
#1 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 04:27

opb
Male Author

England
#2 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 07:42
Thanks for telling us ordiale.

I only posted once or twice on the SSS, because I was scared off by the message that anyone might be able to get your e-mail address by means of a post there.

I was, however, persuaded by Alex Birch to enter their short story competitions which were judged by a panel of good authors, whose careful and considered comments gave me great encouragement.

All websites eventually come to an end, and I suspect that the extra functionality of other sites like this one meant that the early ones like SSS couldn't expect to survive long.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#3 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 10:21
opb:
All websites eventually come to an end,

I sure hope this one doesn't!!!!!

ordalie
Female Member

France
#4 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 12:35
I've got so many links to websites...Was it where there was a map of Assville at the start?

ordalie
Female Member

France
#5 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 12:37
ordalie:
their short story competitions which were judged by a panel of good authors

That's what I do miss, there were great stories there, and you could have a look at many previous competitions.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 15:44
jools:
opb:
All websites eventually come to an end,

YES!!!

Note that SSS wasn't really a website (although it did have an auxiliary website). It was actually a Usenet group. Most Usenet groups are totally unmoderated, but the spam problem (originally confined mainly to adult groups) required SSS to post through a 'bot, which was constantly updated to filter spam. All this was a constant expense, both in money and in administration manpower.

There are many reasons for the demise of the Usenet in general and of SSS in particular. If I had to pick one main villain to blame, it would be Google Groups. Google Groups served for years as a huge "on-ramp" for spam, which flooded most groups beyond recognition. As a result, on most groups one had to wade through dozens of spam messages to find a single "real" posting. Google had no way to advertise directly on the Usenet, so they apparently had made the conscious choice to deliberately kill it.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 16:07
jools:

I'd be lost. I mean that from the heart. This site has kept me on the go during my time of need. Although with the great help of Febs, this place seems to get stronger every day. Sites such as this one should be treated as a living space. Lived in, and kept neat and clean.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 18 Dec 2012 23:54
bendover:
Sites such as this one should be treated as a living space. Lived in, and kept neat and clean.

Neat, ok. But clean? Surely not...

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 19 Dec 2012 00:08
PhilK:
Neat, ok. But clean? Surely not...

I'm not sure about neat either, there's empty crisps packets and sherry bottles all over the place.

As for sss, it's really needed to be put out of its misery for some time now. Personally, I don't actually attribute its demise to the emergence of other sites such as this though. I'm a subscriber and active contributor to a number of text-based usenet groups and they're still thriving.

ordalie:
and you could have a look at many previous competitions.

You can have a look at 9 previous competitions here too:

http://www.thespankinglibrary.org/challenges/

ordalie
Female Member

France
#10 | Posted: 19 Dec 2012 02:19
Februs:
You can have a look at 9 previous competitions here too:

Now Februs you misunderstand me deliberately! There were authors I didn't find anywhere else.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 4
bbnebraska12, hittite, Kasey, overdadsknee, Unfortunate
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9