The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Comments on older stories.

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3
kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#21 | Posted: 23 Dec 2018 20:32
crudcutter:
Are suggestions for follow-on stories generally welcomed by authors, or are they just an unwelcome distraction?

Good question. For me it's a mixed bag because obviously a person requesting a follow-up is sending a clear message that they think enough of the original piece to want more. However, as a writer who has done only one sequel (I believe) and even that one was more of a reprisal of certain characters in an entirely new situation rather than a continuation of the existing situation, I also sometimes furrow my brow at the suggestion. I feel in most of my stories there is a clear beginning, middle, and end, and by the end I always hope that my point has been sufficiently made....and so......done, finished, finito, period. When a story like that gets a recommendation for a sequel, I sometimes feel like "what? a sequel? Why? Didn't you read it? It's done." But it's still better to get a request for a sequel than a comment that the original story should never have been written! LOL

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 23 Dec 2018 22:22
kdpierre
I'm with you. I'm very clear on my author page that I do not do sequels, and for essentially the reason you gave. I finish a story when and where I consider it done. I take no offense, though, if someone asks for a sequel, but consider it a compliment. A reader is free to imagine what comes next, and on multiple occasions I've suggested that the reader write it down and submit it. That would be the ultimate compliment.

opb
Male Author

England
#23 | Posted: 26 Dec 2018 10:47
Occasonally, when using the traditional story-telling style one will perhaps foolishly end by saying "...but that is a story for another occasion.' thus leaving one open to requests for sequels which one had never envisaged.
I do have one such at the moment, and the sequel sort of stalled in the third act. No problem, just write an origin story or 'prequel', only that sort of stalled as well...

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#24 | Posted: 26 Dec 2018 15:23
I agree with the previous speakers. To be asked for a sequel is a great compliment which I deeply appreciate, but unless I have already thought of one, I always abstain. I like to leave my stories a little bit open to make the readers dream on on their own.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#25 | Posted: 26 Dec 2018 17:04
I wasn't able to post much this year, but I always enjoy getting comments, no matter how old the story is.

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3

Online now: Members - 12 : Guests - 6
canth256, DenseWall, Jackmydaw, magegod989, Michito21, mobblers, MorningBob, ntytina, oxford, Redwolf64, wzudko, xenmur
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9