The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

The Frankenstorm

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
Guy
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 01:19
canadianspankee:
I would suggest we postpone the reading and points until Nov 7 to 28 and see how things are then.

So you're behind on your writing CS?

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#12 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 02:09
Guy:
So you're behind on your writing CS?

Well I didn't want to tell anyone, and now you blew it. Thanks a lot, I thought you were my friend!!

CS

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#13 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 03:04
Just think. No electricity, no computer, no LSF. So...I will have to reread my old novels instead. How boring. I will have to use a flashlight.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 05:04
canadianspankee:
if we lose a lot of our American friends for a couple of weeks?

You won't be losing anyone for weeks. Geesh. One week at tops. Probably no more than a couple days, if anything.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#15 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 05:44
njrick:
You won't be losing anyone for weeks. Geesh. One week at tops. Probably no more than a couple days, if anything

Hmmm...that is not what they are saying up here, and believe me, us Canucks know what a good snowstorm etc can do.

However IF we do lose you all for more then a week, I personally commit to voting a 5 on all the stories and only giving 10's to any I happen to recognize the author (that would be me), so you can all be assured the Challenge results will be fair....

CS

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 06:12
canadianspankee:
Canucks know what a good snowstorm etc can do.

Last time I checked, this wasn't a snowstorm.

canadianspankee:
that is not what they are saying up here

And "they" would know, wouldn't they?

They's do some quick math. let's say 10% of all electric customers were to lose power in the impacted area (Maryland, Delaware, eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Long island and a bit of upstate NY, connecticut, Rhode Island and part of Massachusetts. How many active LSF members so we have in that area? 20? 30? 40? 50? Let's say 50 - so that maybe 5 of them would lose power. 60-80% of people without power will get it back within 2 days, because the crews focus first on the highest-impact repairs, and the easiest. With the storm passing through by my mid-day Tuesday, by mid-day on on Thursday the 1st (first day of voting) we could expect 3 or 4 of our 5 members active without power to have their electricity restored. by the weekend, there would probably be no more than one without power. The chances of him;/her being one of the unfortunate few who go more than a week without power is unlikely. You'd have a similar pattern with phone service - with a high correlation among the people affected, since the phone/cable lines run on the same poles, and are often taken out by the same fallen trees. then there will be a much smaller group of people evacuated from shore areas, and/or flooded out.

So if you have a couple people who miss a couple days of reading/voting, and at most one r two who miss a week, that's not much of an impact. And I believe all of teh numbers will be smaller - less than 10% who lose power/phones, closer to 20% rather than 40% of those who are without service 2 days later, and fewr than 50 active LSF members in the affected area.

Will there be hundreds of thousands of people altogether who lose power? probably. Will there be thousands or even tens of thousands who are without power a week later, and tens of thousands flooded out? Yes And will this be a hardship for all of them? Absolutely! And are there a fair number of LSF members who are AT RISK at being among them. Yes. The chances of that actually happen to any of us, however, are quite small - despite the fact that it's likely to happen to LOTS of people.

I guarantee you that with every contest there will be as many people, among all LSF members who have equally big hurdles to reading/voting - computer problems, power or internet problems that keep them offline, deaths in the family, health issues, other personal issues, workload on the job, travel plans, etc.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 16:17
Well, the winds are picking up here in Southern Maryland, so I guess I'll be signing off her pretty soon for a few days. We've been out of electricity for a few weeks here before. Usually it's no more than 3 or 4 days though. Take care my friends. Be safe.

Pat

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#18 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 17:44
bendover:
Take care my friends. Be safe.

To assuage the fears of our fellows members who are concerned, I suggest that those of us who are more-or-less in the storm's path post afterwards as soon as possible to let them know we're ok.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 18:06
njrick:
To assuage the fears of our fellows members who are concerned, I suggest that those of us who are more-or-less in the storm's path post afterwards as soon as possible to let them know we're ok.

Good idea. We will be watching for you and hoping for the best. All you you, please keep us informed!

Speaking of which... Like most, we use a wired service here in the home. For mobile use of our wifi-only pads and for potential use after a storm, we keep one of those mobile hot spot devices on a cheap prepaid plan. It's just one more way to potentially stay connected to friends and family when things go to hell.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#20 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 21:51
bendover:
I just wanted to say that I may be off line for a few days with this storm coming through. They have several different scenarios of how it might hit. New Jersey, Delaware, and New York may be hit a bit harder, but it's still up in the air until Saturday night

The storm is up in the air? That's an American thing, OK?

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 4
bbnebraska12, bigdad, ldbill, LucNoir, Seegee, stevenr
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9