Comment Limit (Digressions)

Page  Page 2 of 7: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »»
frankfane
Male Author

England
#11 | Posted: 4 Apr 2012 17:25
barretthunter:
it's not April 1 any more

So I've been told. Then I got abducted by aliens and I can't remember what happened, except there were all these empty bottles, and and my head hurts. There is a disconnect in the middle of this thread so I think a few days have gone missing. I'm going to keep a low profile while I figure it out.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 03:22
From what are we digressing?
aliens, alcohol, rude comments- hmm is there a central thread here?

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 03:35
islandcarol:
From what are we digressing?
aliens, alcohol, rude comments- hmm is there a central thread here?

This thread was started on the Help Forum which, because it is searchable, becomes a useful reference source for people needing help, which is why we ask that people keep on topic when posting to it. Since the thread has long since gone off topic it was moved here instead with the addition of the word 'Digressions' to the topic title.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 03:57
Februs:
Since the thread has long since gone off topic

I can't believe it - this thread went off topic AND I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#15 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 07:37
Why was my umm helpful(????) comment not shifted with the rest of this thread? Someone needs a spanking Feeeebrus!!

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 18:19
To bring the thread back to its putative title/theme:

I do believe there should be a limit on the number of comments a Library member may be allowed to make. Far too many fly-by-night characters of dubious origin are now reaching the 1,000 comments-made mark, and it seems hardly a month goes by these days without a new record being set. It's all quite dizzying and can only end in happiness.

I'm sure the Library server must be straining to accommodate such large numbers of these unnecessary outpourings of encouraging feedback - especially those comments which not only offer gratifying praise but which also select a favourite phrase or line from the story and then perhaps offer a humorous remark on theme or character. This kind of thoughtful and perceptive generosity by readers really is becoming far too prevalent, and something must be done.

I suggest that any member who exceeds a limit of, say, 500 comments made for every 501 stories read in any given month, should be limited thereafter to reading a serial of at least 20 parts without making a single comment. There are plenty of loyal members who, to their credit, manage to be this abstemious already, and I don't see why others should be allowed to get away with shamelessly commenting - and at such length - on almost anything they read.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 18:23
TheEnglishMaster:
I suggest that any member who exceeds a limit of, say, 500 comments made for every 501 stories read in any given month, should be limited thereafter to reading a serial of at least 20 parts without making a single comment.

Sounds to me like this could be a real serial-killer.

jefesse
Male Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 18:30
njrick:
Sounds to me like this could be a real serial-killer.

Ba-dam-dam.

Aren't puns cause for severe punishment?

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 18:55
jefesse:
Aren't puns cause for severe punishment?

I thought they WERE severe punishment.

Miss_Naughty
Female Author

England
#20 | Posted: 7 Apr 2012 23:04
TheEnglishMaster
I'm sure the Library server must be straining to accommodate such large numbers of these unnecessary outpourings of encouraging feedback - especially those comments which not only offer gratifying praise but which also select a favourite phrase or line from the story and then perhaps offer a humorous remark on theme or character. This kind of thoughtful and perceptive generosity by readers really is becoming far too prevalent, and something must be done.

MN says.

Well, from one who doesn't receive many comments the server is not straining in my direction! If that momentous moment should ever arise, you can all come and spank me.

Page  Page 2 of 7: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 5
Artemishel, Aubstu, fesseefan, freewilly, hoggies, maroonraider, solbond, sverge2302
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9