LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

A Simple Suggestion

Page  Page 3 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#21 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 20:06
I too do not want emails with updates. I seek what I want and I often view authors who do not write my favourite genre, so I like the system the way it is.

If any change at all, instead of "the latest story list" which many people seem to think are the only new stories on the block, I would prefer just a listing showing all the authors with recent updates. Then if one click on the mentioned author their AP would show up. That way we could maybe get more then 10 new stories on the front page. I find whichever author gets the front page gets more reads then the rest so this would give more authors more views. I too have benefited from having my stories on the front page but find myself feeling sorry for the authors who have latest additions and perhaps the front page is full of a 5 part serial from 1 writer.

This is just my opinion and of course there are drawbacks and advantages, but to me, who is currently sitting in sunny Mexico and not paying to much attention to KLSF right now, it seems fair. Now back to my serious drinking of the local alcohol and eating tacos.

CS

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 20:59
mati:
I think the best solution for all us renitent readers who are generally not reading enough and if we read, never the stories we should, is the following:

Every time somebody logs in he/she gets a randomly selected story as an entry. And before this story isn't read and commented there is no chance to enter the rest of the site. And for the appropriate comment you should also display a commenters handbook (Guy takes every comment, beth wants only positive, opb cares only for authors comments, CS doesn't like spoilers and so on). I'm sure that will boost the trafic of this site enormously (but maybe in another direction as intended).

I'm not certain what you mean by readers who read "never the stories we should," unless perhaps you mean "never the type of stories we like."

I really don't believe a reader should be required to read and comment on a story he/she may have no interest in, besides which IMHO such a requirement could quickly become a farce with generic comments posted on stories not fully read.

Also, I wouldn't like my comments subject to specific guidelines established by particular authors, either--AFAIC the scope for commenting should be as wide as the scope for having stories posted. AFAIK there aren't many (if any) problems RE offensive comments on stories being posted here in the Library... --C.K.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#23 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 21:05
I agree with CK on this one. Sorry, mati.

smeple
Male Author

USA
#24 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 21:57
canadianspankee:
If any change at all, instead of "the latest story list" which many people seem to think are the only new stories on the block, I would prefer just a listing showing all the authors with recent updates. That way we could maybe get more then 10 new stories on the front page. I . . . find myself feeling sorry for the authors who have latest additions and perhaps the front page is full of a 5 part serial from 1 writer.

I think this is a good suggestion, and though I don't know a lot about all things Februs, it doesn't seem that it would take too much extra work, since it is just substituting the author's name for his/her latest story/serial. Alternately, the same thing could be accomplished by only posting the first part of any multipart story on the latest story list; the reader can then connect to the other parts just as they now do, using the "go to part 2" button. But it would at least allow more authors a little more time on the latest story list.

I also don't think I want daily emails advising that one of my favorite authors has posted something new. However, I do think the "author of the day" idea is interesting. Though I would suggest a slight modification. There seem to be over 400 authors in the LSF. If each author had a day, it would mean more than a year would go by between an author reappearing, just for that one day. So, I suggest having "authorS" of the day. Maybe 3 or 5 at a time. In that way, the author rotation would come around several times per year.

Or - if that seems like it would be TOO often, you could modify the concept even more, by having 3-5 authors of the day, but leaving those 3-5 authors' names up for 3-5 days. The rotation would still be over a year in between authors having their "day," but at least they would have a few more days in the "limelight."

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#25 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 22:10
I have to disagree; I much prefer the current system to just showing the author's name. Everybody knows that there probably is a list of other stories by the author on his page and can go there if they like the new story (I often do). "Hiding" the new story just creates an unnecessary obstacle.

opb
Male Author

England
#26 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 22:19
CrimsonKidCK:

Reply Quote
mati:
I think the best solution for all us renitent readers who are generally not reading enough and if we read, never the stories we should, is the following:

Every time somebody logs in he/she gets a randomly selected story as an entry. And before this story isn't read and commented there is no chance to enter the rest of the site. And for the appropriate comment you should also display a commenters handbook (Guy takes every comment, beth wants only positive, opb cares only for authors comments, CS doesn't like spoilers and so on). I'm sure that will boost the trafic of this site enormously (but maybe in another direction as intended).

I'm not certain what you mean by readers who read "never the stories we should," unless perhaps you mean "never the type of stories we like."

I really don't believe a reader should be required to read and comment on a story he/she may have no interest in, besides which IMHO such a requirement could quickly become a farce with generic comments posted on stories not fully read.

I think her tongue might have been firmly in her cheek when mati suggested this.

Anyway I wouldn't want to add to the esteemed Feb's workload at all, or else he might not have time to prepare and load the stories and songs I narrate and sing.

Personally I find the Lucky Dip feature the one I like to use most, of course there's always entries from authors whose work I don't read, but that's easy to address. I just don't read them.

It does give me a small fillip when one of my works appears there funniy enough, as I know statistically one should appear every 4 goes, so it's not that surprising.

mati
Female Member

Germany
#27 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 22:41
Februs:
I think perhaps a better solution would be to add an extra option to the search form that would allow the person searching to exclude from the results items they've already read.

That would help a lot.

CrimsonKidCK/njrick

Okay, I never try again to be ironical in a language I don't command.

What I wanted to say: You can put advertisements in every corner of the library, subscribe authors, select authors of the week or story of the day, make a plug board and a storyboard, write about favourite story, put author interviews in the wellred: You will always only reach the 500 regular readers of this site. And I think all the regular readers know after a short while, which author writes about what topics and know how to find a new story from their favourite authors. I often choose stories from the story-/plugboard or the "latest"-list now, but when I started to read, I selected my stories solely with the search facility and ignored every other possibility. It wouldn't have helped me to know, that "njrick" recommends a story of "rollin" when I never heard of both. And as my preference is M/F it would have been useless if CK, CS, blimp or bendover would have been "authors of the day".

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#28 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 22:45
mati:
Okay, I never try again to be ironical in a language I don't command.

LOL. No, please continue, I got it.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#29 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 22:51
Although the "Latest Loaded" section is very popular it is not really needed. All you have to do is look under Search and then click "search" without entering any criteria and it will give all the stories in the Library from latest to earliest. If you click "added" it will list them them from earliest to latest which is an easy way to find old stories that you might like.

Also if you want only certain stories such as M/F or Adult/Child, etc. you can easily select only those using that criteria if you wish. Eliminating "Latest Loaded" would make no difference at all.

christian0539
Male Author

USA
#30 | Posted: 12 Feb 2012 23:48
Wow. I had no idea a suggestion would cause this much trouble! I would think if you didn't want emails, you could just not click on the subscribe button for that author, but some of the ideas here might be a better solution. I also would rather not have to be forced into reading or commenting. Anyway... Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
Christian

Page  Page 3 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 11
anpedant, gg12, Goodgulf, Heaton, Jason132, Kia, ricommers, rudabega, spankfun
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9