library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

What the blazes is a Manchester United???

Page  Page 3 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
barretthunter
Male Author

England
#21 | Posted: 30 Oct 2011 21:06
Hmm, it might be that we had players as good as the Germans, but as far as I could see we didn't actually have a team. I suspect we'd do better if we ditched a few superstars and only chose people who thought it an honour to play for England, not an honour for England that they were playing. Not that, in the unlikely event that I were an international-class footballer, I would consider it an honour, as I'm not very nationalistic about football, only about cricket. Now if there were a Queen's Park Republic...

As for the bad refereeing decision against Germany, I suspect if justice had been done the Germans would have raised their game. They were the better team (not necessarily the better eleven players). If we had beaten Germany, we'd almost certainly have lost in the next round. Mind you, we weren't quite the shambles the French were there!

mati
Female Member

Germany
#22 | Posted: 30 Oct 2011 22:11
blimp:
Anyway I didn't think you liked football, Mati!

But this is the first time that a man stops talking about football, just because I don't like it.

It's not, that I don't like it, but my interest is not high enough to know all football clubs in manchester and how they played. To avoid the world cup is nearly impossible and I actually enjoy looking some of the games. Especially if the south american teams are playing.

barretthunter:
Hmm, it might be that we had players as good as the Germans, but as far as I could see we didn't actually have a team

That was probably an advantage last year for Germany. They had very young and very motivated players and all were playing in the German league at this time. In the end they were too unexperienced.

barretthunter:
... I would consider it an honour, as I'm not very nationalistic about football,

It's hard to be nationalistic about football and I thought it's just by chance who is playing for which country. Think of the brothers Boateng. They played against each other: One for Germany, one for Ghana. And things like this happens all the time. Why should the players think, that it's an honour to play for a specific country? They are playing for that team, which offers the best conditions.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#23 | Posted: 30 Oct 2011 22:19
The Norwegian team has at least revolutionized football tactics: Their plan is to play so boring that the opponents fall asleep. It almost got us to the European Championship, but unfortunately the Danes are able to read Norwegian newspapers, and found out about the tactics. It is still a mystery how they managed to stay awake, though....

blimp
Male Author

England
#24 | Posted: 30 Oct 2011 23:03
barretthunter:
Mind you, we weren't quite the shambles the French were there!

But to be fair they have won a few more trophies than us. I was actually quite young the last (only) time we won anything! If every world cup we aim to do better than the Germans we won't go too far wrong!

bendover
Male Author

USA
#25 | Posted: 30 Oct 2011 23:43
You have to see Eurotrip for a funny scene involving Manchester United. The boys walk into a pub in England and end up in the pub for Manchester United Supporters. In order for the team's head guy (really big), they need to sing the Manchester U support song. Sooooooo, he begins with "my baby takes the morning train, he works from nine to five..etc... then..... To watch the Manchester United Soccer Team .. The best team etc.... and the big guys looks like he's going to kill them.... Then says.... Damn Great!!!!

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#26 | Posted: 31 Oct 2011 08:47
blimp:
Lampard's goal was clearly over the line against Germany

I was actually in the stadium and had a perfect view of that goal which should of course have been given.
There's an old maxim that says that 2-0 in the most dangerous score in football. A team appears to be cruising and suddenly the opposition is right back in it if they score and goal and on top if they score a second. That second goal would have been shortly before half time and a demoralised young German team would have headed for the dressing room.
I said at the time that it was "the revenge of 1966" and a young lady sitting next to me from Deutsche Presse-Agentur used the quote in her report – fame at last.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#27 | Posted: 31 Oct 2011 10:28
It's a huge assumption that the young Germans would have been demoralised. They didn't look to me like the sort of team to fall apart when they went from 2-0 to 2-1. And England showed little sign in that tournament of being able to score more than one goal against limited opposition, let alone a good side!

Yes. England might have gone on to win, but I doubt it. They weren't good enough, the way they were playing, to deserve to go any further.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#28 | Posted: 31 Oct 2011 11:40
The Germans thorougly deserved their victory-God that hurt.
Let's be honest; English football is suffering badly from the ridiculous numbers of foreign mercenary players in the Prem; it is extremely difficult for young players to make the grade- unless of course they come from the greatest academy-Southampton FC; the FA is a bad joke, and the FA selects poor managers while overlooking those who might do a good job but whose face doesn't fit.

I used to be passionate about England football, I and my mates partied for weeks after 66; but nowadays I can hardly be bothered to watch the grossly overpaid buffoons (for the most part) that run around to no great purpose for England, managed by another foreign mercenary or English incompetent.

Still "Our 'Arry" ( Harry Redknapp) may be given the chance to manage England next year and although he carries a bit if dubious baggage he will if anybody can motivate and get the best out of England.

It'll be a good few years before anybody gets near to Spain though.

I have transferred my allegiance over to cricket , where although we have some foreign born players and coaches; at least they are absolutely committed-even if the poor dears can't play spin in Indian conditions!

Still Southampton's amazing progress these last two seasons gives me great joy- last Saturday we beat the second in the league with consummate ease to extend our lead at the top.
Foreign owners aren't all bad-we were rescued by a very benign Swiss billionaire, who tragically died but who's family seem to be carrying on as normal under a ruthless Italian ex banker chairman; and the best up and coming English manager in England.

blimp
Male Author

England
#29 | Posted: 31 Oct 2011 12:06
I
jimisim:
Still Southampton's amazing progress these last two seasons gives me great joy- last Saturday we beat the second in the league with consummate ease to extend our lead at the top.

If you mean the recent Tuesday match with West Ham I would have thought it was more a hard fought victory. I had a great interest in that match as I thought West ham's odds of better than 11/4 were sensational! Wrong yet again of course! I was guilty of greatly underestimating Southampton. It does seem that Southampton are playing some wonderful football and fully deserve there place at the top of the table. Let's hope they stay there with the Hammers, as I must admit I have a soft spot for both teams.

blimp
Male Author

England
#30 | Posted: 31 Oct 2011 12:14
barretthunter:
It's a huge assumption that the young Germans would have been demoralised

I was joking when I said they would be demoralised. German football teams always seem to play with great strength of character. As jimisim said, they were better than us on the day and deserved to win. The disallowed goal still rankles though!

Page  Page 3 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 4
Adam4824, ebbetsjim, Fokus014, Jackmydaw, Jdavis, lesni, mobblers, Officefan, sidelines, ThomasPetersen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9