LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

Problem with new EU GDPR popup, and solution that worked for me

Miserationum
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 16 May 2018 07:55
Hi,

I was having trouble logging onto the site because the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) consent popup was coming up blank as soon as I tried to load the site. This consent is necessary due to the wide-ranging impact of the GDPR, both for people in the EU and for others. You have probably seen similar things on other sites.

I tried a number of things unsuccessfully, then found that I was able to access the forums, read-only, and I hoped to find a solution. I didn't see a direct solution, but I did see Februs' suggestion that another user try clearing their cache for a different problem.

I cleared my cache in Firefox, and it worked like a charm.

For your convenience, to clear your cache in Firefox, the preferred browser for the site:

• Click on the three horizontal bars in the upper right corner to bring up the Firefox menu
• Click on Options
• Click on Privacy and Security on the left side
• Click on the Clear Data button on the right side
• I only selected Cached Web Content (you may also wish to, or need to, select Cookies and Site Data)
• Click Clear

I was then able to go to http://www.thespankinglibrary.org/ and it loaded properly; I was able to log in.

I hope this is helpful in case others have this problem and try to find a solution on the Help Desk.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 16 May 2018 19:23
On the other hand, I use Firefox and the popup box worked just fine for me. Maybe we have different settings somewhere? I'm just guessing because there are thousands of settings on Firefox.

Miserationum
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 16 May 2018 20:50
I'm glad you're not having this problem.

It could be different settings, or perhaps whatever was in my cache and causing me problems wasn't in your cache.

I have no idea whether anyone else is having this problem, or, if they are, whether what worked for me would work for them.

Wheatwine
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 16 May 2018 21:44
One thing I don't understand is the EU is collecting information on residents of member nations. As a citizen and lifelong resident of the United States of America, why is it necessary for me to consent to this? For that matter, I understand that the United Kingdom is leaving the EU, so why should this website have to comply with this? If my question seems stupid, please remember that I got my legal training watching reruns of LA Law. As for passing the bar, I've been known to stop in for a beer or two. Trying to inject a little humor into my comment, but one friend once told me there were a million comedians out of work, and wondered why I was trying to be a comedian. In my defense, I've never tried to make money doing comedy. I'm strictly an amateur. But I digress, and a most annoying, rambling way.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 17 May 2018 04:39
The EU has past a law that says that every site must provide that its visitors are okay with the information that the site gathers. I clicked on this site's privacy policy and I'm happy with it.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 17 May 2018 14:11
The initial problem with the blank GDPR form was due to my software presenting the modal window (popup) to users who had yet to login. However, the display of the details in the window were only presented if you were already logged in. I made a quick fix shortly after I discovered the problem so it shouldn't be happening any more.

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 6
badlad, Balor, chris37, Eris39, hhouse, TheStingfan
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9