The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

Problem posting a comment

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 29 Jul 2010 00:33
Hi.

Someone comment on one of my stories, asking a question. When that happens I usually assume that other people have the same question but didn't bother to comment, so I generally answer the comment as a comment (as opposed to a popup). Then I'll go back to the story and see if it needs editing and ...

Well, I tried to post a comment and received a SQL error. Assuming it was temporary I waited,then tried again. Then removed spacing, the slash, and a few other things, but the comment isn't being accepted.

The comment:
Countless people have accidentally witnessed (or almost witnessed) things like that - which was the inspiration for the theme in those stories.

Janey wasn't sure what she would do if she ever babysat him again - how seeing him spanked would change their babysitter - babysat relationship. Especially since it wasn't his mother doing the spanking but his aunt - basically she had seen him spanked by another one of his babysitters and Janey wasn't sure how she would handle him the next time she sat for him.

Then she agreed to babysit him again. Two hours after she was "in charge" of him, she was certain what he would do when she acted up and she was in charge.
-----

The result:

- Failed More Information:

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 't sure what she would do if she ever babysat him again - how seeing him spanked ' at line 1

Goodgulf

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 29 Jul 2010 01:28
Earlier today our host provider changed various settings, one of which was responsible for the problem you experienced, but I believe I have restored them so hopefully you should be able to post your comment again now. (anything with an unmatched apostrophe or quotation marks would have caused the error you got)

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 29 Jul 2010 01:51
Ah - so if I used an uneven number of contradictions (can't, don't, etc) then I would have triggered an error.

Thanks for fixing it.

Goodgulf

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 29 Jul 2010 02:01
The problem with a "comment" by the author, on a comment, is that the reader generally does not go back to that story, to see any additional comments by any other readers or the author. If the author wants to comment on a reader's comment, the pop-up is the best. Of course, the author can also use the comment section, along with the pop-up.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 29 Jul 2010 02:06
Goodgulf:
Ah - so if I used an uneven number of contradictions (can't, don't, etc)

Hey! That (contradictions/contractions) is one of the better malapropisms I have seen lately.

Which brings up a story idea: Someone should get really creative and write a Miss. Malaprop spanking story.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 29 Jul 2010 03:11
Darn, I really shouldn't go with the first thing spellcheck suggests - at least not without looking at it to make sure it's the word I wish to use. Proofreading is one of those difficult things for me - I know what I mean so my brain fills in the blanks. When it comes to my stories I have to leave them for a few days before I can given them any serious proofreading .

And why do it as a comment as opposed to a popup? There's a rule of thumb in newspapers - for every X letters to the editor on a subject you can safely assume that there are Y people with the same concern who didn't bother writing in. I view comments in the same way - that there were (and will be) many other people who read that story and went "Huh?". Hopefully some of them will hit comment to ask it and see the answer I gave and say "Oh, that makes sense".

I'd rather answer a question for everyone with a comment than send popups to everyone who asks - even if that means the original poster never sees the answer.

Goodgulf

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 11
benchmarc, Davidwa, Filbert74, Intensivist, Madcap, ShaunM, uranaistar2000
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9