library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

Problem with the spell checker

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 9 May 2013 02:08
In the last few weeks I have been having a problem with the spell checker when I try to post a message. If I just write the message and then post it that works OK. However when I use the spell checker first it lets me fix any spelling errors but then up comes the timer emblem and it never goes away and locks up everything. When I check the task manager it says "progam not responding" and I have to end the task and log in again. Of course the message is gone and I have to rewrite it and post it without using the spell checker.

So what's wrong?

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 9 May 2013 02:33
tiptopper:
So what's wrong?

No idea, but since the spell checker itself hasn't changed and was working I guess it's related to whatever browser and associated environment you and using... since all the better browsers have had built-in spell check for a number of years, which is really where such functionality belongs, I'd recommend using one of those instead of IE.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#3 | Posted: 9 May 2013 03:40
I don't seem to have any problems with the spell checker. Besides, both Googles Chrome and Firefox, have automatic spell checkers. IE also has a spell checker but one has to engage it. Now, here is my question: Is there a way to check correct grammar and structure when writing something? Someone indicated to me that it will be underlined in green.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#4 | Posted: 9 May 2013 09:58
Sebastian:
Now, here is my question: Is there a way to check correct grammar and structure when writing something?

The only program I use that does that is Pages which I use for my uni work. It doesn't correct everything but tends to complain if you are too 'wordy' and suggests other terms sometimes... Not sure it is necessary for most things in life, in fact I tend to ignore it anyway

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 9 May 2013 14:06
I disagree with the grammar checker in Word most of the time. I only turn it on when I want to see the readability statistics, because that feature won't work without it.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 9 May 2013 15:11
Right after I switched to chrome I had a spell checker working on this site and email. Then one day it was gone from everywhere except word documents. It has been really frustrating. I can spell, but am a poor keyboarder. Can you imagine why?

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 9 May 2013 16:36
islandcarol:
Right after I switched to chrome I had a spell checker working on this site and email. Then one day it was gone from everywhere except word documents. It has been really frustrating. I can spell, but am a poor keyboarder. Can you imagine why?

Spell-checking software is specific to the application you're using so Word's spell check isn't related to that in your browser. I don't actually use Chrome myself but I'm led to believe this is what you need to do to enable spell-checking:

1. Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
2. Select Settings.
3. Click Show advanced settings.
4. In the "Languages" section, click Languages and spell-checker settings.
5. In the Languages and Input dialogue that appears, use the "Enable spell checking" checkbox to turn the spell-checker on or off.

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 10
anpedant, Aubstu, Flavius, Heike, phoenixusurped, rayleighbarns, schnuppe
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9