The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

is there a limit on comment?

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
SNM
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 19:00
Biker:
And if this means we get more criticism and less fawning on LSF, I would consider that progress. Come on guys, we're all grownups here.

As an author, I feel that my stories could always benefit from constructive criticism, and it is always welcome.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 19:04
I welcome all comments - including the ones that are less than positive. If all you hear is "wonderful - I love how blah worked" then you don't see how people might be misinterpreting things. No, scratch that, you don't know how you have written something that didn't convey to all the readers what you wanted it to convey.

A couple of times comments have led to re-reads and re-writes as it struck me "Damn, that's not coming across the way it should".

Then there are the weird comments - ones not on the story but on me. For example, I've been told that I must have a great darkness in me - otherwise I couldn't include certain dark elements in the story. When I get those comments disusing me, I try to take them as complements, to read those comments as "Your writing skills have improved to the point where you can write a story that reads as if it was written by someone who ..." then finish with whatever the comment describes me as.

Goodgulf

opb
Male Author

England
#13 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 19:47
I am greatly encouraged when someone enjoys reading a story which have worked hard to write and then perfect (sic). Whilst we all say that we write for our own pleasure we share them for the common pleasure and the receipt of feedback is welcome, and as Febs has said, it's not too much to ask.

I have learned to be careful when commenting as I was once personally flamed on another site by an author who thought I'd misinterpreted one of her characters. I was upset, and for a while she appeared as a not very pleasant character in one of my own stories. I subsequently thought better of this and changed the character's name from the flamer's one.

This episode taught me how fragile the path is between the ideas in my head to their comprehension in the reader's, hence the caution.
So now I normally only comment if I have something positive to say.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 7
Batfinch, joojep123, katee, mark19601962, mobblers, Postdec2022, rudabega, Toewser, york
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9