LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

is there a limit on comment?

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
JohnCook
Male Member

Canada
#1 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 21:35
Can you only comment on so many stories a day? I know i made a bunch of comments on different limericks but mostof them don't show up. Only the first few,

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 22:26
Ummmm, AFAIK if you're relatively new to the Library, your commentary may be 'validated' (screened) for content before being posted, but that situation likely won't last for too long.

Apparently, the Library staff wants to determine that your comments are going to meet certain guidelines--presumably for civility, I've always figured... --C.K.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#3 | Posted: 1 Apr 2012 23:43
Now you know John why this site is so great.

CK is likely right, just keep commenting and soon your comments will appear immediately. Lib admin looks for comments that are "two or three" words on a consistent bases, those one generally do not make the comment listing but most comments go through. If one constantly says "Good story" or "Nice job" and that is all they write, the comments will be denied.

Your comment on my story was great, so just keep it up and you will be fine. Cheers

Miss_Naughty
Female Author

England
#4 | Posted: 2 Apr 2012 00:12
well i've noticed in the last few days all my comments are awaiting validation - that didn't happen before.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 2 Apr 2012 12:14
I have been irritated by the comments of a certain reader who seems to be a jump ahead of me. They are not abusive, just whiney, negative and petulant. Apparently no can meet her high standards. She does not write; you know I have this penchant for justice. Give me some advice.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#6 | Posted: 2 Apr 2012 16:15
Islandcarol:

Reply "Thanks for your helpful comment". Let her work out if it's ironic.

Now let me wait for when I comment on your story and get "Thanks for your helpful comment"...

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 13:40
islandcarol:
I have been irritated by the comments of a certain reader who seems to be a jump ahead of me. They are not abusive, just whiney, negative and petulant. Apparently no can meet her high standards. She does not write; you know I have this penchant for justice. Give me some advice.

Well, I.C., I'd venture that jools is correct in asserting that any reaction to a story, except possibly one comparing you to Adolf Hitler (unless you have a Charlie Chaplin-type 'toothbrush' moustache), is a positive sign, because you've gotten that reader emotionally involved with your plotline and characters.

Of course, you've certainly read enough Library literature to know how "whiny, negative and petulant" people are dealt with, and what method is used to implement one's "penchant for justice" around here.

Stories have been written about non-commenters getting their 'just desserts,' you could certainly write a fictionalized one about a petulant, whiny commenter receiving her red-bottomed comeuppance from an author. That's merely a suggestion, of course... --C.K.

Biker
Male Member

Netherlands
#8 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 14:24
I am surprised about attitudes towards comments in LSF. Why twist readers' arms to comment? This is a library. People come here to read. What's wrong with doing just that and no more?

The perceived pressure to comment results in lots of cheap compliments. Astonishingly, authors then actually respond. If a reader writes "Wow! That was HOT!" and the author replies "Thank you very much", that's all very nice and friendly, but not particularly meaningful. Here's another: "Sorry, this did nothing for me," followed by "Sorry you were bored." Yawn.

Why don't we comment and respond only when we really have something to say? And if this means we get more criticism and less fawning on LSF, I would consider that progress. Come on guys, we're all grownups here.

So if your commentator is whiney, petulant and negative, just ignore her. Save your pearls of wisdom for those who have something to say.

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 15:06
Biker:
Why don't we comment and respond only when we really have something to say?

I absolutely agree, Biker. No one has to comment on everything they read (unless they particularly want to do so for their own reasons) and if people comment on the stories they have particularly enjoyed reading (without being encouraged to do so by the author), then it follows that their comments will be both genuine and meaningful.

Given that this is a free site with a heap of facilities, we don't think it is unduly excessive to expect people to make a couple of comments for every 500 stories they read. It is nice for authors to receive some feedback and it motivates them to write more and make even more of their stories freely available. In this scenario, making a few comments is a way of saying thank you.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#10 | Posted: 3 Apr 2012 17:08
Biker:
I am surprised about attitudes towards comments in LSF. Why twist readers' arms to comment? This is a library. People come here to read. What's wrong with doing just that and no more?

I'm not sure what you mean by "attitudes towards comments". No-one has to comment ever. However, if you want unlimited access to the stories every day then you are asked to make a minimum of one comment every 500 views. I'd hardly call that twisting readers' arms. As to what's wrong with not commenting, well nothing except at a personal level I don't see why I should give up a huge amount of personal time along with the other volunteers and then not make the most modest of requests to the readers. Myself and the other people who run the site don't personally benefit from the comments but I think it entirely reasonable that authors who are taking the time to create and share something for free should get something in return. If people want to simply be passive consumers, the internet equivalent of the couch potato, there are hundreds of spanking blogs for them to visit.

Biker:
The perceived pressure to comment results in lots of cheap compliments.

What perceived pressure?

Biker:
Why don't we comment and respond only when we really have something to say? And if this means we get more criticism and less fawning on LSF, I would consider that progress. Come on guys, we're all grownups here.

I'm baffled as to why you think you should comment otherwise. One would assume that within 500 items viewed almost everyone would be able to say something about one of the items. I'm not aware that anyone has suggested people comment for the sake of it. In fact we've more than once suggested the opposite and will remove comments that say nothing other than "good story" all the time.

As to fawning, again I've no idea why you think that's what's being asked for or encouraged.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 8
amino, muralebajt, Nickf, theo54
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9