LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

android devices, a thought

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Guy
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 19 Jul 2012 21:52
I recently purchased the new Google Nexus7 Android pad (to use for a special purpose) and as a public service to LSF members I gave it the "college try" on LSF. Using the installed (and otherwise very good) Chrome browser. you can't display a story window.

Again as a public service, I invested the grand sum of $2.99 to try out the Puffin Browser. My considered (but unschooled) opinion after trying it is that it's crap. (or at least, the combination of Puffin and the Google Nexus7 is crap)The interface is excruciating, it often ignores multiple touches, even when very accurately applied with a stylus. When I finally managed to log on to the board, I immediately got some sort of crash when I tried to access a story & ended up still on the site, but logged off!

The Nexus7 is a great little pad for the money, but if you are looking for portable LSF access, look elsewhere, at least for now.

Perhaps Puffin needs to do some work to make their product work with the latest version of Android?

Guy
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 20 Jul 2012 13:20
jools:
Wow I thought you could get Puffin for free. I downloaded a free version and it works fine but lags. SO you do have to be patient when typing.

I bought the full version because it was cheap and it saved me the trouble testing both versions. (If the full version doesn't work, there's no point in trying the free version) Anyhow, Puffin definitely didn't work with the LSF on my Google pad. Every time I clicked on a story I got some sort of a crash, and ended up logged out of the site. They likely need to do an upgrade to make Puffin work with the newest Androiod version.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 21 Jul 2012 01:23
OK, well having made some mods to the story viewer Guy and I have determined that the Nexus7 running Android 4.1.1 with Chrome is capable of viewing stories successfully. The PITA iPad however still didn't work correctly so that will have to be put aside for the moment. What would be helpful is to find someone who has a different Android-based tablet so we can determine if Chrome will work with those too. So, if anyone has such a device could they send me a popup or a Contact Us message and I'll do some further testing with them.

supermario
Male Author

England
#14 | Posted: 21 Jul 2012 01:56
Jools, If you have an android tablet you can download the puffin browser from google play direct onto your tablet

Guy
Male Author

USA
#15 | Posted: 21 Jul 2012 16:20
supermario:
If you have an android tablet you can download the puffin browser from google play direct onto your tablet

Or you could try the new Chrome browser for Android, which likely won't have the delay that Puffin is said to have. The Chrome browser that comes factory installed on the new $199 Google Nexus7 pad works for me. (Your results may vary)

There is also a new Android version of Firefox that is worth a try. The Ipad is a tough nut to crack because Apple limits the software that is allowed.

Guy

jefesse
Male Author

USA
#16 | Posted: 1 Aug 2012 23:14
Februs:
OK, well having made some mods to the story viewer Guy and I have determined that the Nexus7 running Android 4.1.1 with Chrome is capable of viewing stories successfully.

I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to work for me ... I get the browser not supported message if I try to open a story. Is there a special trick?

Guy
Male Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 2 Aug 2012 00:25
I just re-tried it with my Google pad (Nexus7) with the factory installed browser, and it still works just fine for me. I was able to read a story and post a comment.

If you are logged on to the site with your desktop, it might be necessary to log off. Also, try pushing one or two menu buttons and then try again to access a story.

jefesse
Male Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 2 Aug 2012 01:22
I figured it out ... must tell chrome to "request desktop site" (selected from menu at upper right).

nray999
Male Member

USA
#19 | Posted: 25 Sep 2012 03:50
Has anybody had any experience with getting LSF on an Android phone? Some of the earlier postings indicated that Opera worked which mirrored my experience on iPaq. My device runs 2.2 which is archaic but may syllable be useful.

redtail
Male Member

USA
#20 | Posted: 27 Sep 2012 16:28
LSF worked on my Samsung Galaxy S with Firefox (could even listen to the audio stories, very cool). Opera didn't work for audio for me.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 8
daveyboy, db105, fvsoler, insonia, JohnJameson, tocciek
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9