LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Help Desk /

Anti virus suddenly blocking the site

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
watcher123
Male Author

Ireland
#1 | Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:49
My antivirus system has suddenly declared that this web page is on a list of dangerous web sites with potentially harmfull content. The anti virus system is ESET Nod 32. Its the first time that's happened and I now have to disable it to access the site. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 2 Aug 2011 22:43
I'm guessing that it has something to do with the .co.cc part of the url. There are a lot of .co.cc sites that aren't nice ones and some people are starting to paint them all with the same brush.

Goodgulf

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 2 Aug 2011 23:16
Goodgulf:
I'm guessing that it has something to do with the .co.cc part of the url. There are a lot of .co.cc sites that aren't nice ones and some people are starting to paint them all with the same brush.

This may well be the case but in reality it's a slightly distorted situation as it's been estimated that less than 0.01% of the co.cc sites might have malicious content. Google of course have not helped the situation with their heavy-handed de-indexing of all co.cc sites. Quite ironic really considering a far greater percentage of their own blogspot sites have malicious content but when it's your bat and ball so to speak you can do as you please I guess.

Anyway, you could always try the following alternative URL for the LSF and see if that fixes the problem:

http://www.spankinglibrary.tk/

The other thing that might be worth investigating is whether you can whitelist the library site's URL in NOD, thereby telling it not to block the site.

watcher123
Male Author

Ireland
#4 | Posted: 2 Aug 2011 23:30
The new URL worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 3 Aug 2011 00:17
Februs:
it's been estimated that less than 0.01% of the co.cc sites might have malicious content.

Here's what wiki has to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cc#co.cc
"co.cc" is not an official hierarchy; it is a domain (co.cc) owned by a company who offers free subdomain redirection services.

This company offers two free co.cc subdomains, as well as bulk discounts for ordering as many as 15,000 domain names at a time. These domains are often used by spammers to create spam blogs, or "splogs," often with nonsense names like "extensitiesdiminutal.co.cc" and the like.

Suggestions the co.cc site pops up for free domain names to register include "bestantivir" and "autoloan," belying its true use - the creation of spam domains. Step-by-step instructions for spammers to use free hosting services like Blogger, Windows Live, and Google Apps for Nonprofits are included on its homepage, under the heading "Mapping with co.cc".

------

Which has me shaking my head - Google Apps is a spammer service? Blogger and Windows Live don't have legitimate uses?

That said, Google has apparently said that they might relist certain co.cc sites. See http://searchengineland.com/google-delists-all-co-cc-domains-from-index-83931 for more details.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 3 Aug 2011 00:31
I've seen no evidence whatsoever of Google re-listing any co.cc sites. They certainly didn't re-list ours when I approached them.

They also recently de-indexed all the co.tv sites. In my personal opinion it's a strange approach to take and I share the opinion voiced by the director of Trend Micro's Threat Research centre who considers that Google's decision is ineffective and "unfairly penalises" those that use the .co.cc second level domain for legitimate reasons.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 3 Aug 2011 00:47
Februs:
Quite ironic really considering a far greater percentage of their own blogspot sites have malicious content but when it's your bat and ball so to speak you can do as you please I guess.

Not to mention their GoogleGroups which Google has used to deliberately kill the Usenet by providing spammers a huge free unpoliced on-ramp to flood legitimate groups under thousands of crap messages.

Guy

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 3 Aug 2011 00:53
watcher123:
The new URL worked fine. Thanks for the help.

No idea if this is up-to-date information but this appears to the whitelist facility I referred to in my previous post:

http://www.betterantivirus.com/faq/faqs/1194037244.html

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 3 Aug 2011 00:58
Guy:
Not to mention their GoogleGroups which Google has used to deliberately kill the Usenet by providing spammers a huge free unpoliced on-ramp to flood legitimate groups under thousands of crap messages.

Yet another example of Google and its double standards, one can only surmise what the real reason is behind the de-indexing of sites that use free domains and sub-domains.

The other extremely annoying thing concerning Google Groups is that Google bought out Deja News who previously provided a searchable usenet archive and managed to break the search function. The thing is, the usenet messages are clearly still there and fixing the broken search routine would appear, to me at least, to be a relatively trivial matter. The fact it's been broken for about 2 years now tells me they've no interest in fixing it.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#10 | Posted: 3 Aug 2011 04:26
So being rather ignorant of these things, why are you still allowing Google search bots on this site? Is it you being nice, or something you cannot stop. or...? Just curious as to why you allow Google to send their bots when they de-list the site. If it was me I would have shut them out completely but maybe I am not in the know here. Thanks

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 8
Artemishel, cossington, Geoffrey, jevv, Koalabaellchen, Seegee
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9