Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 19:03
flopsybunny:
Report to Miss Thrashbottom's office at once for 'celebrations'

Hmph! I'm sure Miss Thrashbottom will appreciate a little humor.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#12 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 19:12
I'm not saying it's THE metric, I'm just saying it's one interesting way to look at it. I only brought this up because of the statistical problem that you have with evaluating "reads", something I've been aware of for some time. As for serials that get comments on parts, yes, some parts appeal to readers more than others. But I still think that serials or multi-part stories broken up for convenience should be treated as integral works.

I'm aware of the download problem, but I also know that some readers cannot, for various reasons, read in real time on the net. I would only hope that those folks do not disseminate stories to other sites. I have actually seen only a few instances of my stories appearing unauthorized on other sites over the entire ten years that I have been writing.

blimp
Male Author

England
#13 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 19:50
flopsybunny:
Report to Miss Thrashbottom's office at once for 'celebrations'

Njrick. I love your wit, it was a great line but you have to ask, was it worth it?

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 19:56
blimp
Just wait till njrick sees the official announcement

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#15 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 22:36
blimp:
Njrick. I love your wit, it was a great line but you have to ask, was it worth it?

I'll tell you when I get back from my visit with Miss Thrashbottom.

flopsybunny:
Just wait till njrick sees the official announcement

And all I was trying to do was complement you on your wonderful killjoy-ish-ness. Geesh!

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 22:38
njrick:
And all I was trying to do was complement you on your wonderful killjoy-ish-ness. Geesh!

But of course, sweetie-pie, that's why I gave you such a treat over the lap of Miss Thrashbottom

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 22:50
flopsybunny:
But of course, sweetie-pie, that's why I gave you such a treat over the lap of Miss Thrashbottom

I just returned from Miss T's office. She really did help me to see the error of my ways - that no matter HOW much of a killjoy you are, it isn't polite to say so in public, or even here in the library. Quite a 'celebration' it was.

Oh, and blimp - it was soooooo worth it.

blimp
Male Author

England
#18 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 23:29
njrick:
Oh, and blimp - it was soooooo worth it.

That wasn't Miss Thrashbottom then! I bet she had a fluffy tail and was drinking Vimto!!?

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#19 | Posted: 20 Jan 2011 00:14
rollin:
If you want a meaningful metric, try this. For any given author add the number of favorites and the number of comments then divide by the number of integral works.

Mathematics and statistics are not my forte, but I can see a problem with this too. Many authors respond by commenting on the comments. While most don't do this with every comment, it would be possible for a writer to have 100 Comments, 50 of which are his/her own.

For example, one writer has made 73 comments, 70 of which are on their own work. Another has made 36 comments, only one of which is on the work of another author. Note that I am not criticising - merely pointing out that it happens, and would make it difficult to come up with anything meaningful from the figures.

It is also possible (though I don't know for certain) that some people put all their own work in their 'favourties', and again, surely this would skew the figures?

I wait with interest to be told I'm talking bollocks!

Guy
Male Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 20 Jan 2011 00:37
Linda:
I wait with interest to be told I'm talking bollocks!

It won't be me! I believe you are quite correct. The bottom line; there is a limit to what we can do with statistics.

Besides; this is a library, not a contest.

Guy

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 9
CarolinaPaddler, derekjster, highpockets39200, MartinVonB, pic7, twinkieshark
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9