LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Looking for advice over Roger Zelazny FanFic

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 15 Jan 2011 20:54
A new series of mine has just been added to the library, and I'm looking for advice. You see it's unabashed FanFic and I'm not sure if the universe I'm writing about is coming through. In theory everyone in the world should have read The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny but it seems that some people have missed that excellent series of books, so might not be able to follow along with the stories.

Each story in the series was envisioned to be as self contained as possible (because his novels were so wonderfully written that you could pick one up at almost any point in the series start reading), so it would be great if people could read one of them and then let me know (by popup or replying here or commenting) if they understood the world. The first one has the most introductory stuff in it, but all of them should give you a brief idea of how that setting works.

If people don't understand the setting then I'll see about posting either an introduction (a "part 0") or adding some comments to explain things. I attempted to handle all of the "what is this setting" stuff in the stories themselves, but I'm not the wordsmith that Roger Zelazny was.

The reason why it's a five part series is it is based off of a five book series (with each book running about 200 pages - all of the books are great reads and you should run out and buy them NOW). It's in the first person "I'm tell you what happened" voice because that's how those novels were written - a guy woke up in the hospital with amnesia and told us what happened next.
Nine Princes in Amber became Nine Princesses in Bamber, serving as an introduction to the world and its plots and schemes.
The Guns of Avalon became The Paddles of Spankland, where the plot progresses and some new weapons are developed... And the hero falls for a woman named Lorraine (who is only briefly in the series).
Sign of the Unicorn became Sign of the Royal Stag, where various things that were set in motion in the first two stories come to a head.
The Hand of Oberon became The Hand of Titania, where it is revealed that a great work needs to be done (okay, this adaptation loses some of that theme).
The Courts of Chaos became The Chambers of Artwork, where various epic things happen and we learn just who the narrator has been telling his story to.

If, after reading the FanFic, you want to check out the original stories, both series of five books were collected in The Great Book of Amber, a single volume which still is smaller than some Robert Jorden novels and much more entertaining.

Goodgulf

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 16 Jan 2011 03:50
I haven't read Zelazny yet, GG. I'd love to, but I have this giant TBR pile, and I'm still having trouble forgiving Zelazny for contributing to Wild Cards.

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#3 | Posted: 16 Jan 2011 04:32
If you have never read any of Roger Zelazny's works do so soon. If you have, read some of them again. You won't regret it in either case.

Best known for his 'Amber' series; I would recommend that you get yourself a copy of the omnibus volume titled 'The Great Book of Amber'! Once you start I would predict that you won't want to stop till you have had the whole tale. This truly is a classic work and any library in the English speaking world will have a copy. It is timeless.

You would be doing yourself a favor to also take a look at any of Zelazny's stand alone works. My favorites include:
'Call Me Conrad'. Often seen by it's other title; 'This Immortal'.
'Lord of Light'. In my opinion Zelazny's most powerful work.
'Lord Demon'. A posthumous release. Unfinished at his untimely death at 58, but finished by his long time girlfriend, Jane Lindskold, who is an accomplished Fantasy writer in her own right.

Take the time to read the Wiki article on him and be prepared to impressed with his bibliography. Six Hugo's. Three Nebula's. Not to mention all the lesser awards.

A New York Times reviewer, long ago opined, that Zelazny's Science Fiction reads like fantasy and his Fantasy reads like science fiction. I couldn't agree more. Roger Zelazny is simply one of the BEST writers of the last century.

So. I'm committing to reading GoodGulf's large (aprox. 68 K) spank spoof on the Amber Series. I'm sure it will be a good read!

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 16 Jan 2011 09:14
It's not quite a spoof...

Although the main character has a bad case of "I'm not real, I'm a shadow, woe is me" because his family comes from a Shadow where every Prince of Amber has a shadow that's a Princesses and there's a copy of the Broken Pattern there. Since everyone is so close a reflection they wonder if they are going to follow the paths of the Amberites... It's a bit like Rebma if the royal family there had an echo of Amber's power.

The worse part of writing it was looking for a female version of Bleys. Eric could become Erica and so on, but Bleys? In the end I decided that Bleys was a unisex name and called the Princess that.

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 12
buzz821, dave5358, Hotspur, jimisim, lowendtheory, mobile_carrot, smorboll
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9