library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

On Language (from "Craft of Storytelling)

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Guy
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 4 Oct 2010 02:23
cfpub:
I must point out that African-Americans with college degrees earn less, on the average, than white Americans with high school degrees.

I don't know where you got that information, but according to this graph:
(based on '03 census) that's not even close to being true. Whites with HS education: $28,000 vs. Blacks with college education $60,000.

However, we agree that race/class discrimination remains a factor. My point was only that proper education, language, dress etc. can be a huge benefit for anyone of any race/class.

Guy

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 4 Oct 2010 03:25
Guy

You are correct about income, education, and race. I got carried away with the discussion and forgot that Google is my friend.

However, having embarrassed myself, I will try to minimally recover by pointing out that the figure for white HS graduates is higher than the figure for Blacks with some college, and that the $60,000 figure for Blacks is for those with advanced degrees, not a bachelors.

bluepencil
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 10 Oct 2010 17:07
I think we're drifting a bit here.
I was a newspaper editor for 15+ years. My wife taught English and Latin for 35 years. Our joint estimation is that "english" has simply gone to hell in a handbasket. Kids can't spell, they can't express themselves properly (and fail to understand why they should be required to do either) and television newsreaders have little or no concept of structuring a sentence complete with subject and verb.

Apparently mediocrity is a sufficient standard when it comes to communication.

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 10 Oct 2010 19:33
bluepencil:
I think we're drifting a bit here.
I was a newspaper editor for 15+ years. My wife taught English and Latin for 35 years. Our joint estimation is that "english" has simply gone to hell in a handbasket. Kids can't spell, they can't express themselves properly (and fail to understand why they should be required to do either) and television newsreaders have little or no concept of structuring a sentence complete with subject and verb.

Apparently mediocrity is a sufficient standard when it comes to communication.

Interesting example (no verb). I do believe a well-written piece presents conclusions and evidence to support the conclusions. In two short paragraphs the author presents four conclusions and not one bit of evidence to support any of the four, although there is an appeal to authority, actually two, the author and his wife.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 16
canth256, steve77, stevenr
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9