Can someone clarify Abigail to me ?

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3
Moody
Male Member

Germany
SUBSCRIBER

#21 | Posted: 23 Aug 2023 14:23
BashfulBob:
I wonder what obscure oddity in the English language Moody will introduce us to next.

Does American English count too?

When thinking about measurements I came across the metric volume of 1,000 ml which is 1l with the l meaning liter. The British translate it as litre but the American risk typing liter with two 't' which gives it a new meaning ;)
They navigate this danger by using the pint. It would be fun seeing an obese American drink a Scottish pint of Scottish Whiskey. At least I don't think we need to think about his thoughts afterwards.
1 American pint = 473,2 ml
2. Imperial pint = 568,3 ml (England, Ireland)
3. Australian pint = 570ml
3b. South Australian Pint = 425ml
4. Metric pint = 500ml or 0.5 l
5. Canadian pint = 1136ml
6. French pinte = 1136 ml = 1 imperial quart
side note: Not sure how this fits in, but in my youth a pub was called a Pinte where I live
7. Scottish pint = 1696ml = 1joug

Actually when I used google to answer me the question how milk is packaged in England google showed me 500ml cartons.
I think last weekend I saw a you tube video about prisons in Germany and the US and the narrator a Mr. Rosen an American district attorney said the cell is about 100 square inch but they told them the size in the metric system that Americans don't understand. Can any of the American forum users confirm if it was a joke. He said its slightly smaller than his dorm room at UCLA but he had to share with another student. I am German and this video even surprised me, in modern prisons the prisoners even have the key and the prisoners even have a communal kitchen with knifes as well as pots and pans. He also said German prisons are not min or max security but they are sorted by time remaining on sentence. He had some statistics too, 707 of 100,000 Americans are in prison while at the same time only 60 Swed's breath seaved air. A quarter of the world's prisoners serve their sentence in the USA. Each prisoner costs 50,000 US$ the same as a college student has to pay for his education. 6% of people with a high school education spent a year in prison before they turn 30. While 28% of the high school drop outs do the same, only put in second place by Afro-American high school drop outs where the number is 40% higher.
I came across this videos because a Scottish male who lives in Malaysia and has an affection for Germany.
20German words used in English was the first video. In English it's not necessarily the exact same meaning.

@ Smachtai
It were Regenca novels where I read it.
For me everything before 1900 is Victorian Times, even I intelectually know by now it's Regency .

Smachtai
Male Member

Ireland
#22 | Posted: 25 Aug 2023 09:02
Could Mr. Rosen have meant 100 inches square. I have heard both American and UK persons say this. It means each side of the room is 100 inches , or 2.5 metres. Giving an area of 6.45 m^2. ?

Apparently in Canada, in the past, if you ordered a "pint of beer" in English you must be served an imperial pint (568 mL) of beer. But if instrad you order in French "une pinte de bière" you must be served double that , 1136 mL. Because of the way the two units are defined in Canadian law. I am unsure if that still applied today, but i think Canada does now use metric measures.
In Ireland all measure are metric but we still retain the pint for beer only in a pub. In supermarkets, cans come in 440ml , 500ml and I think bottles in 330 ml.

Moody
Male Member

Germany
SUBSCRIBER

#23 | Posted: 25 Aug 2023 10:25
@ Smachtai

Mr. Rosen
I guess my Math failed me when it came to imperial measurments. He said 100 square feet but 'thinking' English at that moment I equalled 1m^2 = 1m x 1m thus 100 squarefeet = 100 x100 feet Shockingly it's far too large. He probably said square inch A little small but seems more reasonable. My old deputy headmaster would be shocked, in Physics he told us to check the measuremnts if you get as result m^3 but it should be m^2 the result is wrong. After you watched Mr. Rosen and the other video on you tube I watched you got the impression that on your next Berlin trip you should consider prison istead of a hotel.

metric system
Since the metric system originates in France (Napoleon forced quite a few Nations to adapt it) and I assume they are one of the founding (?) members of the EU too) I assume the EU wouldn't like non metric measurments in use.

I think the UK got away with quite some things. Not all, but they had quite some leeway.

You can still walk into a butchers store in Germany to buy a pound of beef but you need to know that even in imperial times it was a metric pound and there are no shillings involved. In the last millenia shillings would be involved in Austria. The Austrian currency prior to the Euro was the Shilling (in the 1970/80ies 7 Shilling equalled 1DM (German Mark) (1981: 3DM =1US$ and 5DM=1Pound)

The slang for a 10 Pfennig coin was 'Groschen' but in Austria the Groschen was like a cent or a Penny
the 50 Pfennig coin was called a 'Fuchs' (fox) and the 1DM coin was called a 'Taler'

I once ordered three to four pounds of goulash and a young apprentice brought me three pieces, at most half an American pound 200g while I wanted 1,500g-2,000g. Let's assume Math wasn't her favourite or she planned on doing the trip multiple times to not overstrain herself.

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 3
CharlotteM, cwh, Seegee
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9