library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Gender of spanking story characters, how important?

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 22 Jun 2022 19:11
I played around a bit this, writing two versions of a story. One is F/f, the other F/m. Other than that switch the story is the same.

It's called:
A Tribute - version 1
A Tribute - version 2

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#32 | Posted: 22 Jun 2022 19:46
Lonewulf:
Now to contradict myself. First, being into erotic spankings doesn't necessarily mean I dig pitty-pat-parties. I can't tell you how many times I've read a story that you can tell the writer has limp-wristed the spanking for the female. This is why I generally don't like reading stories by writers who write F/M. I imagine the gist why they do this is "women are the frail sex and therefore men shouldn't take advantage of women's physical nature (or the lack thereof) by giving them a damn good spanking.
A belief that outside of spankings I 100% support. Maybe one day I'll explain how I recently narrowly avoided going to jail for standing up for a woman who was being molested, and got strangled for my efforts.

Like CK, and as a primarily F/M writer, I would love to respond to this, but while I believe I am neither genius nor idiot, I have no idea of what you're saying here. What connection are you drawing between F/M and pitty-pat-parties?

Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#33 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 05:21
In my experiences, as a reader who has read F/M stories that also had F/F spankings in it, the Domme (or writers if you will) would limpwrist the female spankings while using blistering paddlings for the dudes.

Very well written stories mind you, up until the girls getting their licks. I've read enough stories by F/M writers to be turned off by the sub-genre (pun intended). There have been exceptions, but those seem more the singular exception rather than the rule.

Please note, I'm not talking about stories where the top switches. Never been interested in reading those stories at all.

I wasn't looking for an argument, I was describing my reading experiences and interests/preferences (or lack thereof) which is what the OP was asking for. If the only purpose of this thread was to convince people otherwise, then I'm out. I was only posting my interests as a reader.

Bramblewine
Female Member

USA
#34 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 05:39
Interesting: this whole argument that just broke out illustrates perfectly, I think, how people's expectations of a story are colored by the genders of characters. And it's not the same for everyone. Not by a long shot.

DianaMiller:
I've seen a grey square used when the gender of a character is unclear. For example in the story by the author Layotorgi. If you hover your mouse over it, you see '?' for the spankee. Would that work as a solution for non-binary characters?

For the reader, perhaps.

If I were inventing a system, I would probably have a specific gender marker for a character who is known to be non-binary. In that case, their gender isn't unknown, it's just not the usual M or F.

But to be fair, I've only ever read one spanking story (not written by me) with a character who was identified up front as non-binary, and it was posted on the author's own website. I don't think that site had gender listings for its characters, although I could be remembering that wrong. If it did, the non-binary character was probably described as NB.

terminator2589
Female Member

USA
#35 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 10:09
I would say that there aren't really many authors or readers who are particularly interested in non-binary relationships in spanking literature.

My personal tastes are somewhat similar to those of once-prominent Dr. Brackenridge for some reason; I generally enjoy stories involving older children or younger teens, and much of the reason I have not posted here despite reading so many stories is that most of the community is into adult relationships and that the site now bans spankees under 11. I don't feel like my tastes could make me a comfortable part of the author community.

I've almost exclusively been into F/m and some F/f for as long as I can remember. M/m and M/f both fail to excite me since I honestly despise male tops.

However, rarely have I ever heard the idea of a non-binary spanker or spankee. I'm not sure if that would work well with my age preferences. Moreover, even then, I see that many non-binary individuals look more or less "feminine" than some others, which I believe ought to affect the appeal of this idea.

I can't say I will get into it because I have no established comfort with it anyway, but I totally support individuals making excursions into new writing territory; I enjoy it myself when I can get away with it in my private writing.

Honestly, what I've learned from this site over time is that a lot of the spanko community is, with some obvious exceptions, too traditionally minded to bode room for ideas such as a non-binary designation for pairing relationships. Personally, I am a total "lefty" and would totally support the idea of a transgender/non-binary designation, but my vote is no the only one here; many people aren't really the way some others are.

I mean, M/F is probably the most common pairing because most people are vested in this need for "traditional" roles even in their fantasies. Perhaps people don't want to break away from this--hence why F/M or F/m relationships have a lower average approval.

The same probably holds true with your non-binary idea--sad as that is. Perhaps our world is sorrowful enough to not yet contain room for some novelties to be pursued to the horizons to which they should.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#36 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 11:33
Lonewulf:
I wasn't looking for an argument,

You, Lonewulf? Why, perish the thought!

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#37 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 13:35
Lonewulf:
I wasn't looking for an argument, I was describing my reading experiences and interests/preferences (or lack thereof) which is what the OP was asking for.

Neither was I. I just truly didn't understand what you were getting at, and in fact, assumed you were saying that because some writers believed women can't handle a hard spanking, chose to write F/M stories for that reason. Now I understand what you actually meant.

I know from experience that women can, and want, (depending on the woman, of course) some true bun-burners and handle them just fine........even greedily. I recall a 'playmate' I Topped I nicknamed "Wolverine" for her ability to take a lot and even heal almost magically in a short amount of time. I'm not a fan of pitty-pat either.....regardless of gender, and not even in real life.

As for your observation, I think there's a different reason for pitty-pat in the "woman's turn" when written by a Femdom-oriented writer. Personally, I don't recall ever doing such a thing though. I had a story "The Woman of the Well" that was primarily F/m, but also had a f/f spanking in it....which was sufficient to have the receiver red-faced with tears and runny nose by the end. So.......'not guilty'.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#38 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 13:48
terminator2589:
Honestly, what I've learned from this site over time is that a lot of the spanko community is, with some obvious exceptions, too traditionally minded to bode room for ideas such as a non-binary designation for pairing relationships. Personally, I am a total "lefty" and would totally support the idea of a transgender/non-binary designation, but my vote is no the only one here; many people aren't really the way some others are.

While I completely agree with your first point here (spankos truly are the archconservatives dwelling in the "Kinky Village" which when I realized that, blew me away in its irony) I think feeling you are the only one in favor of non-binary inclusion is due to some misunderstanding. I am clearly inclusive of just about ANYTHING.......even topics that have been rejected here for being too far in another direction (not complaining, BTW, I get it, Just saying.) I just don't like "they" for reasons of clarity and actually prefer the x or y pronouns ( xe, hym, etc.) Unfortunately I have some family and friends who, being young and of these more recent victimhood generations, see this 'they-aversion' as proof of intolerance, whereas I see their view as persecution complexes in search of perpetrators...even when no one around them is actually against them.

As for your assessment of reader tastes? LOL TOO TRUE! You would think on a site loaded with authors, that writing style would have a greater impact than orientation, but nope. Orientation trumps everything. It's what has led me to believe that 99% of spank-readers (male and female) are reading with their eyes while their hand is busy elsewhere. I am perpetually in search of a great story. Orientation has influence but is not a necessity. (I too tend to loathe male Tops, mostly from associating them with some I've met) But a good M/F will appeal to me..................if it's about more than impacts on buttocks, AND rings true to experience.

Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#39 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 21:16
For the last few months I've been in a constant state of drunk. I state this because besides being unusual for me, explains why I didnt think of this earlier (I'm only slightly sober right now). I wrote a story called "the misadventures of techo Tanya" (not published anywhere currently) where the spanker was binary... literally. A self creation of an AI whom was at first patterned after Tanya herself until she got tired of hearing her own voice contradicting her (and usually being right) although "she" had similar personality defects to her creator. Long story short (too late), Tanya changes her AI over to a male voice and renamed "him" Hal (I'm sure Arthur C Clark is rolling over in his grave).

At any rate, I discussed in story that "Hal" was neither sex, and while holding opinions, had none about which sex he was as it didn't seem important to "him". So, in a sense, this was a non-binary spanker story. You could argue this was nothing but a mechanical spanker story, but "he" was aware.

I only use quotes now as it fits the thread and yet I'm still adverse to using hym hyr or whateva.

Bramblewine
Female Member

USA
#40 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 21:53
So here's a question for people who've expressed opinions on non-binary gender pronouns (and people who have opinions on it but haven't expressed them): what kind of pronouns would make a story easiest to read, for you? Singular they/them, or something along the lines of ze/hier/zem?

Would a story with any such pronouns in it be so distracting to you that you wouldn't be able to absorb the meat of it (in a spanking story, the spanking part)? Would it make you stop reading?

Personally, I think encountering either would throw me for a bit of a loop at first, until I got used to it, but I'd get used to singular they/them faster.

Keeping in mind, too, that we all use singular they pretty routinely without thinking about it. As in, "Somebody left their umbrella." It's just not the usual way to talk about a known person.

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.
Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 8
DurableGents, Filbert74, Jake15, Tengen, Unfortunate
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9