LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Checking your new story

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#11 | Posted: 24 Apr 2022 21:37
I have tweaked a story for as long as 12 years. I don't think you should do it that much.It can become obsessive because you'll never be 100% happy withit, it can always be written a little better. There was a click of writers my folks had as friends (arrogant asshole Isaac Asimov being one of them), and I used to ask them the same questions. their answer was mostly three times. Write it, rewrite once, then once more then leave it another to edit, then submit it.

mianders
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 15 May 2022 12:15
Many thanks for all your very helpful thoughts and ideas. I'm beginning to see problems for which there might not be a solution. For example, if you use a word thinking it is the correct word, but actually it isn't, only another person checking it will pick that up. Or, if you have your character putting something in the boot of a car that doesn't have a boot, only someone familiar with that car will be able to correct you. The list goes on!

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 19 May 2022 17:11
mianders:
The list goes on!

It's true no amount of checking can bring utter certainty, but to paraphrase an old saying: the man (or woman) who never wrote an error never wrote anything.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#14 | Posted: 19 May 2022 17:52
I think there is only rule without exception: Whenever you publish something, no matter how carefully you have proofread it, the first thing you will see when you open the published version is a glaring and embarrassing mistake.

Patron
Male Author

USA
#15 | Posted: 19 May 2022 18:03
Alef
That's so true.

mianders
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 20 May 2022 10:17
I second that.

mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 21 May 2022 13:59
I tend to work on several stories simultaneously, so when I think I've got one finished I give it a top to bottom reading for cohesiveness, then let it sit and come back to it later and do a second read through. Then I skim through it a third time as it's loaded for submission, mostly looking to break up paragraphs that are too long.

I generally never read them again once they're published, unless I'm looking to respond to a specific comment, because when I used to I'd always see things I could or should have done differently. The only time I reread the whole story now is if I'm trying to write a sequel and doubling-checking the details.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 5
cady09, derekjster, ebbetsjim, gerard, hydegreen, JanusFanUK, kdpierre, rabbitrun, rockytop, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9