Lack of "Shock and Awe"

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
Blarg
Male Member

USA
#21 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 05:00
kdpierre

The believability (or plausibility) can be addressed by a few story elements:

1. Having the spankee be 18 and the spanker be older - perhaps just a little, or perhaps much older.
2. Describe the adolescent as being physically smaller than the adult. You could have an 18 year old boy be say 5 feet tall, quite short for his age, and is perhaps living in the home of a 40 year old landlady who's 6'2" and stout. Describe him as young-looking and often mistaken for younger.
3. Put the spankee in a subordinate position in some way to the adult spanker. Maybe the adult is their foster parent and they're still living in their home. Perhaps the adult has taken them into their home as a host family situation. Perhaps the spankee is an 18 year old runaway they took in. Perhaps the adult rented a room in their home to the adolescent, who then loses their job or otherwise becomes unable to pay rent; the adult lets them stay anyway, but gradually it becomes apparent they don't consider the adolescent an adult free to do as they please when the adult is putting a roof over their head, food on their plate, and perhaps even clothes on their body.
4. Have younger adolescents in the story; make it clear in various ways that the adult considers the 18 year old a member of the category "kids" rather than "adults"; have the adolescent spend their time with the younger adolescents and treated as one of them by the adult.
5. Have the adult treat the adolescent as a kid in various ways, not all of them embarrassing or unpleasant at first glance, or at least unrelated to discipline. Maybe the landlady with the 18 year old tenant who can't actually pay rent has him move into the same bedroom as her 12, 13, and 14 year old sons; he spends most of his time hanging around them anyway. She notices his clothes look ratty (he has no family, and bounced between foster homes) and takes him with her sons to buy them all clothes. He's small, so she buys him clothes in the boys' department with her sons.
6. Establish that he isn't too old to get punished. Maybe he oversleeps one morning and almost makes the family late for an appointment one day, so when his landlady says he needs to go to bed the same time as her sons, he's embarrassed at having a bedtime like a kid, but is too embarrassed about making them late to argue about it. Maybe he messes up a few times and his landlady grounds him; he's embarrassed and thinks he's too old to get grounded, but again feels vaguely like arguing would only make it worse - or maybe he does argue and the one day grounding turns into two. The thing to establish is a feeling that there's nothing he can do about it. It's out of his hands, and he's firmly in the role of one of the kids in her eyes.

Ultimately, just because the spanking is considered "normal" by the spankee and even foreseen or at least surmised and dreaded, doesn't mean they won't consider it a major catastrophe all the same. The "normalcy" and predicted nature of the impending spanking is what drives the tension and anxiety, without actually making it any less catastrophic or unacceptable.

wooz1111
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 14:48
Alef, I heeded your advice and appreciated the stories you recommended. Also, while perusing the offerings of Billboard, I stumbled onto "Common Courtesy" which definitely filled the bill. Thank you for the tips.

Often123
Male Member

USA
#23 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 18:48
Blarg has some good ideas to look into.

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#24 | Posted: 5 Jul 2020 14:16
Well, I can't really point at many examples but I've read plenty of stories here where the spankee is quite surprised from ending up spanked. However, I feel that many readers here prefer a setting in which spanking is a normal part of the world and the characters in the stories often even take pleasure in it. It might make it a bit hard to find the stories that stand out and reflect what you're looking for.

I might have some of what you're looking for in some of my stories. Most recent, you'll find a scenario in the short series"A Trip To The Woodshed" in which the main participant for certain doesn't expect to get her bottom warmed.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#25 | Posted: 6 Jul 2020 14:58
Blarg:
>>>>>>>1. Having the spankee be 18 and the spanker be older - perhaps just a little, or perhaps much older. <<<<<< Have you ever considered the practical difficulty in spanking an 18-year-old who is shocked, awed, appalled, and as a result unwilling to be be spanked?

2. >>>>>Describe the adolescent as being physically smaller than the adult. You could have an 18 year old boy be say 5 feet tall, quite short for his age, and is perhaps living in the home of a 40 year old landlady who's 6'2" and stout. Describe him as young-looking and often mistaken for younger.<<<<<
So here you have physical force overwhelm an unwilling victim. Sounds pretty abusive. What happens after? Like not just after the spanking, but after the shocked, awed, appalled victim dials 911?

3.>>>>>> Put the spankee in a subordinate position in some way to the adult spanker. Maybe the adult is their foster parent and they're still living in their home. Perhaps the adult has taken them into their home as a host family situation. Perhaps the spankee is an 18 year old runaway they took in. Perhaps the adult rented a room in their home to the adolescent, who then loses their job or otherwise becomes unable to pay rent; the adult lets them stay anyway, but gradually it becomes apparent they don't consider the adolescent an adult free to do as they please when the adult is putting a roof over their head, food on their plate, and perhaps even clothes on their body.<<<<<< So if beingspanked is "part of the bargain" of being cared for, getting spanked wouldn't be that shocking.

4. >>>>>Have younger adolescents in the story; make it clear in various ways that the adult considers the 18 year old a member of the category "kids" rather than "adults"; have the adolescent spend their time with the younger adolescents and treated as one of them by the adult.<<<<< See previous answers.

5. >>>>>Have the adult treat the adolescent as a kid in various ways, not all of them embarrassing or unpleasant at first glance, or at least unrelated to discipline. Maybe the landlady with the 18 year old tenant who can't actually pay rent has him move into the same bedroom as her 12, 13, and 14 year old sons; he spends most of his time hanging around them anyway. She notices his clothes look ratty (he has no family, and bounced between foster homes) and takes him with her sons to buy them all clothes. He's small, so she buys him clothes in the boys' department with her sons.<<<<<<Sorry, but the spanking landlady fantasy is utterly unbelievable.

6. >>>>Establish that he isn't too old to get punished. Maybe he oversleeps one morning and almost makes the family late for an appointment one day, so when his landlady says he needs to go to bed the same time as her sons, he's embarrassed at having a bedtime like a kid, but is too embarrassed about making them late to argue about it. Maybe he messes up a few times and his landlady grounds him; he's embarrassed and thinks he's too old to get grounded, but again feels vaguely like arguing would only make it worse - or maybe he does argue and the one day grounding turns into two. The thing to establish is a feeling that there's nothing he can do about it. It's out of his hands, and he's firmly in the role of one of the kids in her eyes.<<<<<<<<
It's not about age, it's about resistance. All the intended victim has to be is big enough to resist, and savvy enough to report the incident as abuse. The only way around this sticky wicket is to have the victim NOT be shocked by the prospect of a spanking but......if not want it.....at least see it as something not so unusual or inappropriate. But then they'd hardly be shocked if one comes their way.

Blarg
Male Member

USA
#26 | Posted: 6 Jul 2020 20:45
I'm not sure something has to be out of the ordinary or surprising to be a shock, at least in this context.

Blarg
Male Member

USA
#27 | Posted: 10 Jul 2020 15:20
To clarify what I mean in the above post: a spanking can be set up in such a way that the reader expects it to happen, while the subject doesn't, but the subject doesn't necessarily think spankings are abnormal; maybe they just mistakenly thought they were too old, or that they couldn't get spanked by somebody that isn't their parent.

Or, alternatively, they could see it coming and they could fear and dread getting spanked, and yet the moment that the authority figure announces they just earned a spanking, it's still a shock. Not because they never dreamed they could get spanked, but because it's catastrophically embarrassing. Their self-perception as an adult just got destroyed, and they've just been told that they're still a kid and not too old to get spanked. It ends up being a status reduction spanking story. The emotional plausibility is in the details.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#28 | Posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:04
Blarg: It's quite possible that I'm reading too much into this. As a recipient of actual DD for genuine offences, I understand the 'shock' when one is announced even when the overall dynamic is established and agreed-upon. I just was thinking that if a full-grown person was truly shocked in the way that meant that such an outcome was totally alien to them, cooperation could be an issue. When writing these types of stories it is very difficult to rationalize cooperation since, even in RL when talking to people about the lifestyle, others squint and ask in wonder, "why do you go along with it?"

When I write a story, I get around this sticky wicket by having my "spanking victim" be complicit in their role, even my youthful stories have "victims" who have an inclination to experience a spanking. I can't imagine writing something that has a full grown miscreant cooperate if they are truly shocked by the prospect and have no personal 'spanking itch' to be scratched. Consent and complicity go a long way in making a spanking delivered to a modern-day full-grown person believable.

I've read WAY too many stories that, despite a certain degree of willingness to suspend disbelief, still make me raise an eyebrow while thinking: "it would never happen". And many that do have a 'shocked' and somewhat unwilling adult still end up spanked, and are still plausible, are so because the victim is somehow overpowered......and that sort of thing is just not MY sort of thing.

Brosse6
Male Author

France
#29 | Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:30
kdpierre:
Consent and complicity go a long way in making a spanking delivered to a modern-day full-grown person believable.

That is very true KDP. If you set a story pre 1960s in Europe and parts of the USA, a non-consensual story is plausible. After that time not so much. Non-consensual stories are still credible after the 60s in Africa and Asia.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#30 | Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:52
kdpierre:
Consent and complicity go a long way in making a spanking delivered to a modern-day full-grown person believable.

I agree, too, but the problem is that my spanking fetish prefers the spankings to be nonconsensual, at least to a degree. What that means is that I usually start with a person who is unwilling to be spanked, but who gradually comes around to realize that the spanking is either deserved or at least the best way out of the situation. I hope that this is to some extent believable as long as the spankings are not too hard, but a certain suspension of disbelief is always useful! Still, I am sure stranger things happen in real life.

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 9
Backbeat, chris27, hydegreen, Odysseus600, spkcomics
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9