LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Lack of "Shock and Awe"

Page  Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4 »»
ckpollman
Male Member

USA
#1 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 17:46
I have a generic complaint that covers many different types of stories. The protagonists be they children, older teens, young adults, wives, or older adults who are too comfortable and casual with spanking. The stories depict characters that accept spanking as an integral and normal part of their lives and the lives of their friends. Spanking is depicted as common for school, at home, and with relatives. It is used for even minor infractions and the chastisement hurts but is viewed as "cost of doing business." This devalues in my mind an event that should be viewed as a cardinal moment in their year.

I want to see the "shock and awe" when a parent or other authority figure announces a spanking is called for. Where is the embarrassment, fear and dread when the miscreant realizes they will actually receive a spanking? Let me see the emotional response and the dialogue

I hesitate to make critical comments after I read a nicely written piece with well-developed characters and an interesting story. I feel cheated when :

- when one boy says to his buddy "If we get caught I'll get another belt whipping just like last week.

- A female student says to her date "We are already an hour late and I won't get spanked any harder if we are two hours late."

- One mother says to her friend. "My daughter will be home soon and she has a whipping coming. I will demonstrate how I use my hairbrush."

I would rather read something like:

- A boy or girl or both are mortified to realize their bare bottom will be on display for their spanking from their bitch of a stepmother to see.

- The wife has been caught breaking a major rule or commitment and is sweating it out as she tries to explain it all away to her husband. Tears, sorrow and shame as she takes her pants down before going OTK? Mortified her friends or parents or children will find out?

OK. Did I make my point clearly? I am not trying to attack anyone. I have another comment that could alienate some writers. Would anyone wish to hear it?

transmanspankee
Male Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 17:55
I think this is very much a question of personal taste rather than something which needs to objectively change in stories. I personally don't often read stories that you'd rather read because being mortified, sobbing etc etc is all too close to real trauma for me. Obviously a lot of spanking stories contain a lack of consent and in reality would be deeply traumatising for the recepient anyway, but in fiction I much prefer it to be something they'll recover from relatively quickly (or even enjoy).

I think you're perfectly welcome to share your further comment, but again, I don't think it'll really alienate writers because it's a question of personal taste rather than objective flaws. I can say 'I don't really like birching stories' and it doesn't alienate anyone who does because it's just my personal taste.

Lonewulf
Male Member

USA
#3 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 18:46
To divert with a moment of hilarity, actor John Wayne took on a non-standard role as a Roman soldier. When he unemotionally said his sole line, he was asked to use more "awe" at the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth. To wit, he changed his line to "Aw, I guess he really was the son of God."

Hilarity over, I can appreciate both sides of the issue. Purported 'disciplinary' spankings are described as taken as easily as breathing air. As not all spanking stories are consensual, this response seems rather milquetoast.
That said, I tend to like consensual more than non-consensual spankings in the stories I read. Perhaps, what I guess the topic discussion is asking to make non-consensual stories less consensual, which makes sense.

...Even then, a little protesting goes far in consensual spanking stories too

This might have to deal with legal issues, as, if I remember correctly, years ago, I saw a documentary about UK censorship, which, at the time, said that you can have spankings in movies, but without sex, and without too much force (non-consent).

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#4 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 19:24
ckpollman:
I have another comment that could alienate some writers. Would anyone wish to hear it?

If you formulate it as thoughtfully and carefully as your first comment, I don't see any problems: Yes, please!

As for the contents of the comment above, I agree with transmanspankee that this is to a large extent about taste and also about what turns you on. Personally, I happen to be in your camp; I like stories with long build-ups where the screw is slowly turned tighter and where the protagonist is in fear of what is going to happen - and often more in awe of the moral downfall the spanking represents than of the physical pain. This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy other kinds of stories, but that I enjoy them for other reasons, such as humor, excellent writing, or a clever plot. Still, these are not the stories I return to when my kink is on fire...

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 19:45
I lean more in the other direction. I'd much rather read a story where its a spoiled brat who has never had a spanking in her entire life finding herself having to undergo a painful and embarrassing paddling, than one about a kid who knows and accepts that he or she will be spanked if necessary, and has known it before.
Or someone finding that they are going to get spanked and it coming as a surprise. An example of mine is A Sore Seat for Vicky.

ChardT
Male Author

SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 21:56
I get what you're saying but it really comes down to consent. What you're talking about is an entirely non-consensual spanking and a lot of people are not comfortable with that idea especially with regards to children who are the most likely historically to experience that sort of punishment. Personally, I always prefer that there be an element of consent involved. That being said I agree that stories where people are spanked at the drop of a hat over trivial offenses do tend to lose something. I don't think any wife, even in the 1950s, should be seriously spanked for burning the toast, etc. Even in a consensual discipline arrangement a spanking should be the ultimate penalty, reserved for the most serious offenses. That way the recipient would still feel very real fear and trepidation at the realization that a spanking was actually going to happen.

Lucian
Male Member

England
#7 | Posted: 1 Jul 2020 23:59
For me it's a balance. I agree there are many stories and fictional set-ups in which spankings happen way too often and easily, and the psychological effect is lost. Equally I agree with other comments that when a spanking is introduced too much out of the blue, it feels traumatic and therefore unconvincing to be anything other than totally nonconsensual.

I once read a story that was set in a classroom full of tall, strong teenagers. An obviously pervy old supply teacher suddenly produced a cane and told them all to take off their clothes and bend over. Their reaction was "oooh, we'd better do as he says - if he tells our parents they might ground us". It was wrong on every level.

My favourite type is where spanking is subtly and cleverly normalised, so recipients know that while their day-to-day risk of getting spanked is low, it's bound to happen to them sooner or later.

Brosse6
Male Author

France
#8 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 08:24
Lucian:
For me it's a balance. I agree there are many stories and fictional set-ups in which spankings happen way too often and easily, and the psychological effect is lost. Equally I agree with other comments that when a spanking is introduced too much out of the blue, it feels traumatic and therefore unconvincing to be anything other than totally nonconsensual.

I believe that there is sufficient recorded historical evidence on domestic and scholastic corporal punishment to create credible fiction. Even for those who have never seen it or experienced it, some quick research will show you the norms. The further you go beyond those norms, allowing for some artistic licence, the less credible the story becomes.

That is why the short spanking descriptions in mainstream novels are so powerful. The reader has been absorbed in the plot and its characters and the punishment fits the crime.

mianders
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 10:08
For me, the plot and the punishment must be realistic and convincing. I also want the author to carry me along with good interesting dialogue and narrative. If the story is set in a by-gone era, then perhaps there is some excuse for certain plots that would be nonsense today, but women are readers of spanking fiction too and their sensitivities need to be considered.

Brosse6
Male Author

France
#10 | Posted: 2 Jul 2020 10:54
mianders:
but women are readers of spanking fiction too and their sensitivities need to be considered.

True, but judging by the Bodice Rippers that sell well, their tastes are as diverse as males. Taming the vixen seems to be as popular a theme amongst the ladies, as Mrs Robinson is amongst the men.

Page  Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 13 : Guests - 5
Alanrg, arsdigita, brettchad, cwh, Dejo, Hotscot, jake210, JohnD, Kheidric, ncmtnspanker, phillipuk, Solomono, xenmur
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9