LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Feedback and Criticism

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
SNM
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 03:17
In the Story Comments thread, there's been abundant discussion of how many comments we should leave on stories and how long and detailed they should be. My question is related to this; how much honest feedback are people wanting?

When I post stories online, I do so hoping that readers will point out its flaws as well as its merits, and give me their advice and opinions on how to make it better and what to do differently or the same in my future stories. I WANT criticism, and will always thank you for it (as long as its actual, constructive feedback, and not "lol ur story suck").

However, I've learned the hard way that not everyone is like that, and that - even among those who are - its all too easy to accidentally sound insulting or discouraging when you're just trying to help. This is something I've worked on since then, and I now can confidently call myself a sensitive, helpful critic. But that doesn't change the fact that not everyone wants to be criticized at all, which I also understand.

So, as a general rule of thumb, how much feedback is welcome around these parts?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 03:44
I always welcome construction criticism. I love it when people PM me (or leave comments) about typos or problems with a story.

You only improve as a writer if someone points out your flaws, because (if you're like me) you can't see them yourself.

Goodgulf

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#3 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 08:40
I think that the feedback we give to stories can only really be notes of appreciation, encouragement and sometimes limited questions.
The problem can be, as in my case, that writers are not always professional and need help with grammar and punctuation for example. And I don't need that help publicly aired so to speak. I've been fortunate recently to have private help with one story, help that was practical and critically encouraging. But that takes time and no small effort.

Perhaps what's needed is some kind of annual two week creative spanking writing courses somewhere.

I'm already beginning to regret this suggestion considering the implications.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#4 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 09:18
cheery:
And I don't need that help publicly aire

I'm with you there, cheery. If someone wants to point out a flaw, or if I see something wanting, then I would much rather the matter was dealt with privately.

PS. If anyone needs help with apostrophes, I'm your woman!

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#5 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 09:23
cheery:
The problem can be, as in my case, that writers are not always professional and need help with grammar and punctuation for example.

Absolutely, for a lot of people it is a long time since school and as with anything, if you don't use it for a while you can get rusty.

There is a good little site that Linda and I were looking at ages ago, it has lots of exercises to help people who need a refresher with certain aspects of grammar and punctuation.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/index.htm

I know I spent a while going through it and I found it enjoyable. If it helps anyone else, then great

cheery
Male Author

Scotland
#6 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 09:29
Thanks to you Linda and Pinkangel.

I'll look at the site suggested, I'm sure it will help.

As for apostrophes' - you may regret that offer!

PinkAngel

Scotland
#7 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 09:31
Linda:
PS. If anyone needs help with apostrophes, I'm your woman!

*nods* oh boy is she your woman

Misuse of apostrophes makes her start using her 'teacher' voice

You're very welcome cheery, we are always happy to help. Just five or ten minutes a day on that site will help, it was a great refresher for me

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#8 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 10:13
Goodgulf:
You only improve as a writer if someone points out your flaws, because (if you're like me) you can't see them yourself.

I agree with that. I never validate my own work (Pink Angel gets that pleasure!) because I don't always see what I wrote; I see what I THINK I wrote.

blimp
Male Author

England
#9 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 10:53
I would always appreciate help with grammar. One helpful critic recently pointed out that I tended to confuse "there" with "their". I have to carefully check my work or else I am liable to commit even worse sins against the English language. Criticism doesn't bother me as long as I feel it's construcive. I know I am never going to be a Joseph Conrad or a D.H. Lawrence so I am sure their are ways in which my writing style could be improved.

PinkAngel

Scotland
#10 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 11:03
Linda:
I agree with that. I never validate my own work (Pink Angel gets that pleasure!) because I don't always see what I wrote; I see what I THINK I wrote.

*Sighs* I have yet to find an out of place apostrophe to torment her with but not for want of trying

blimp:
I have to carefully check my work or else I am liable to commit even worse sins against the English language.

It does show when people have gone to the effort to check their work and it is always appreciated by staff. I think we all have certain things that we are prone to doing but being aware of it is half the battle. I guess this is where constructive criticism comes in and can be useful. My main problem is spelling but I know this and will check, double check and even triple check my work.

blimp:
I know I am never going to be a Joseph Conrad or a D.H. Lawrence so I am sure their are ways in which my writing style could be improved.

A good example of easy confusion. Their is the possessive form, indicating belonging to them. There would be correct in this instance. Personally I think the English language must be one of the most complicated and I would hate to learn it as a second language!

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 9
bobbo6359, jwads, logan31sf, mrbillybob, Tiredny, wilmur408, Yellow1234
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9