LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Letters Format Stories

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 4 Aug 2016 18:05
For some time I have been thinking about writing some stories using a letters to a magazine editor format. Like what were the letters to Mr Magazine, and similar publications. In the same spirit, maybe with more a contemporary feel or setting.
Think there might be some interest in that among readers? And was wondering how best to approach it, to distinguish them from letters to actual publications that have been transcribed here. Would starting off with something along the lines of "To the Editor" be a good approach?
Think I would love doing it, after all it was reading Mr and the like that introduced me to the scene.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 4 Aug 2016 18:40
Redskinluver:
how best to approach it, to distinguish them from letters to actual publications that have been transcribed here

The site distinguishes actual bona fide letters that have been transcribed from magazines by classifying them as document type 'letter' whereas submissions simply written in the letter format are classified as 'story'.

Robert56
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 4 Aug 2016 19:27
Hello Redskinluver,

You might try checking out my stories. I write them in exactly the format you are talking about. I've taken this directly from my memory of how these letters appeared in Mr. Magazine's letters to the editor. They typically started out as Dear Mr. or Dear Editor. I think some may have been addressed to a Mr. Sheldon as well.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 4 Aug 2016 22:37
BA used to have a letters column, mainly an Agony Aunt type thing, where the letters were clearly faked. I used the fake letters and interview format in an article type piece I wrote about spanking babysitters. If done correctly it can be highly entertaining.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 6 Aug 2016 07:30
I've written a number of letter stories, inventing an agony aunt named "Dear Ann" to answer them. They were fun to write, but it was hard to think of a scenario where someone would write in and "Dear Ann" would answer.

Some of them were tongue in cheek. If you go to my author page and check under "d" you'll find them - and I hope they inspire your own stories.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 7 Aug 2016 19:04
I remember the letters in BA, Goodgulf, and all the other wonderful stuff it had.
I checked out your work in letter form, Robert56, and it was very helpfulin figuring out how to title them. Don't think I use Dear Mr though, maybe just To the Editor, as you have prior claim to that one.
I think I will number them, but don't believe they would constitute a series in the way the Library classifies submissions, since they are not continuations of events involving certain specific characters.
So, Letter to the Editor 1, 2 and so on.

Robert56
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 8 Aug 2016 16:21
Redskinluver,

As far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to use Dear Mr. as your start if you wish. I use it because that is how many of the letters to the editor were addressed. So I would have to say, I took it from Mr. Magazine, again, because that's how many of the actual letters started. So feel free.

KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#8 | Posted: 9 Aug 2016 03:05
Redskinluver:
Redskinluver

I have only one story in that format. I called it "Letter to a British Spanking Magazine" and I tried to make it in the format of the longer letters to Janus. I started with To the Editor if I remember well.

CarolinaPaddler
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 10 Aug 2016 14:35
I remember in the late 1970's when I first discovered Switch and Janus at a used bookstore when home from college. I was told they were quite a rare find at the time. They had come from returning servicemen stationed in Germany.

The letters were so personable and painted word pictures exciting to those who had experienced spankings too. I would eagerly read letter submissions and may add some of my own too.

Robert56
Male Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 10 Aug 2016 17:32
CarolinaPaddler,

THis would have been an extremely rare find at the time being that these two magazines were European (UK) publications. I first discovered Mr. a few years earlier than this and had the same reaction to the stories.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 6
darkscreen377, DjZolt, dund93, laststraw
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9