Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 01:21
Summer Vacation Story Contest 2010

The results are in! [Drum roll]

Thanks to all who participated for their time in writing stories for the contest, and to everyone who read all the stories and voted.
Many congratulations to our winners, who have got brand spanking new rosettes attached to their author pages!

In 1st place with 69 votes DJBlack

In 2nd place with 52 votes Jack Crawford

In 3rd place with 50 votes Jefesse

And the runners up:
flopsybunny 49 votes
Rollin 48 votes
GuySpencer 40 votes

This is our first story contest and we hope there will be many more in the future. Thanks to Katie B for her efforts in bullying, persuading and cajoling

And a big thank you to everyone who entered. We were delighted to receive so many entries and everyone did well.

flopsy

kleestep1959
Female Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 01:28
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS!!!!!! It was definitely an exciting competition!!! I look forward to the next one in the near future!!! I know Februs probably needs a little rest now that it's all over!!!! Wonderful job Februs!!!! And I'll be glad to nag for you any time.....my kids say I'm very good at it!!!!

Katie B.

jefesse
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 01:37
Wow! I'm honored to have made it into the top 3. Especially given the caliber of the competition. A lot of good stories, including lots that didn't make the top 6.

I will wear my ribbon with pride!

Many thanks to Katie B. for organizing all this. And also to Febs for writing the code that made this competition possible.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#4 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 07:55
Well done everyone

It was great to see so many people entering and the standard was excellent.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#5 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 08:09
Now that we have the winners, and I do happen to know which stories goes with the winning authors, how about listing the stories, its number and author, with the voting amounts.

DJB
Male Author

England
#6 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 10:45
Hi All

many thanks for all who voted for me

I didn't expect to be placed let alone win

DJ Black

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 11:28
Sebastian:
Now that we have the winners, and I do happen to know which stories goes with the winning authors, how about listing the stories, its number and author, with the voting amounts.

You can still click Latest, then Contest, and the information will be displayed permanently. It shows the votes awarded for the top 3 winning stories and 3 runners up, and further down is the list of all the stories entered, alongside the author. We deliberately made a decision not to reveal the number of votes awarded as we wouldn't wish to discourage anyone from writing and entering further competitions. Imagine how someone might feel if they had very few votes - or none at all! They might punch the wall, kick the cat, and stomp off vowing never to write another spanking story in their life - and we don't want that!

dan2bend
Male Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 13:15
Congratulations to all ... the writers, readers/voters, and organizers ... and especially to our winner DJ BLACK! Great job!!

Guy
Male Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 14:02
Many congratulations to the winners, and especially to DJ Black!

My first impression on scanning the stories was that all of the writers had truly submitted their best work and judging them was a nearly impossible task. The results bear this out: Not taking anything away from the clear winners, no story managed to win more than 8% of the votes! This tells me that the writers did a great job and that the voters took their job seriously.

A couple observations:
* In the end, the # of "reads" seems to relate somewhat to the # of votes. All three winners had over 200 reads. My guess is that many voters took multiple looks at their favorites to help decide how to allocate their votes, so the more popular stories naturally ended up with more reads.

* In looking at the design of the contest, I was wondering if position in the list would help or hurt a story. Since the winners seem equally distributed through the list, apparently not! Again, that tells me that the voters really took their job seriously. (Thank you Februs for NOT somehow shuffling the list. I had a hard enough time keeping 32 stories straight in my head)

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#10 | Posted: 5 Jul 2010 21:28
flopsybunny:
We deliberately made a decision not to reveal the number of votes awarded as we wouldn't wish to discourage anyone from writing and entering further competitions

Yes, thats true. Better off without the votes. They might get discouraged.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 14 : Guests - 3
canth256, DenseWall, ebbetsjim, Filbert74, Fokus014, Jackmydaw, maryt, Michito21, MorningBob, ntytina, oxford, sks089, wzudko, xenmur
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9