Seeking aid while working on a new story

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 16 Aug 2014 13:46
opb:
Another useful online utility is Rhyme Zone

I really like Rhyme Zone, especially when I need a near-rhyme. It has lots of features I haven't tried yet.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 16 Aug 2014 19:14
I will add Rhyme Zone to the list of "how do you spell that word" websites I use.

Minidancer
Female Author

England
#13 | Posted: 17 Aug 2014 12:41
The word I can never spell, even though I find myself typing it a lot, is succumb.

Cercum, sercum, sircome, sercomb, surcome.....to me there are countless possibilities, none of which seem to bring me the right spelling, when I try to look it up.

Btw, there are actually hundreds of words I can't spell. But this one just seems particularly annoying.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 17 Aug 2014 20:11
I've struggled with that one as well, but once I really struggle with a word I take steps to avoid fighting it again.

I have a file on my computer called "words that you use" that has a list of words that give me problems, along with homophones I've found myself misusing. Things like "discreet not discrete".

I find that this file can be very, very useful.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#15 | Posted: 31 Aug 2014 23:35
Since the crash, this story is now weeks from being completed. So I'm taking the weekend to polish some other stories and hopefully upload them soon.

opb
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 1 Sep 2014 09:26
I have trouble with words with, or possibly without double letters in them like professional, necessary, accommodation etc. I always have to think about banana as well, but that looks wrong with double letters.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#17 | Posted: 1 Sep 2014 09:35
And here I thought 'seethe' was just someone talking with a lisp

LMAO

CS

KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#18 | Posted: 2 Sep 2014 21:45
You could imagine that being a foreigner I would have the same difficulty, but usually when I get stuck on a word, I simply think it in Portuguese and almost always google translator brings it in English.

The problem starts when I can't find the word in Portuguese...

RikSpanks
Male Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 17 Sep 2014 20:41
AlanBarr
I think that usage refers mainly to putting something into boiling liquid, rather than the liquid itself (though I could be wrong). I remember the King James Bible wording of a particular law in the Old Testament was something like, "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk" (it's the Jewish dietary law better known today for disallowing cheeseburgers).

But yeah, the word isn't used that way much these days.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#20 | Posted: 18 Sep 2014 00:02
I quite like the phrase 'seething with anger'.

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 8
ahowell208, DenseWall, knicks604, mobblers, rabbitrun, rwilliamh
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9