The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Seeking aid while working on a new story

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 14 Aug 2014 02:01
This is a bit embarrassing. Sometimes, when I'm writing, I think of the perfect word to use and cannot spell it. Not even with the spell checker's help. So I put in something close to what it should be, sometimes a bit of the definition, and go on, planning to fix it later. Well, later has arrived and I'm hitting a problem. Verisimilitude was a fun spelling to track down (I started the search with a spelling that was closer to vicissitude) and there was coiffed (started out as quoffed), but there is a word of that I just can't find.

One is a word beginning with S that implies that something is about to erupt, siving with anger, a seving volcano, something like that. Quivering with anger, pulsing with anger - that sort of thing.

The first part of the word rhymes with Eve, sounding like S-eve. For some reason I'm drawing a blank and there are so many words with a similar spelling that the various dictionaries and thesaurus I use are useless.

Anyone have any suggestions which word I'm looking for?

(Note: when it is finished I'll edit this post to add a link to the resulting story.)

Goodgulf

Janine
Female Validater

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 14 Aug 2014 02:08
Do you mean "seething" with anger?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 14 Aug 2014 02:34
YES!!!!!!

Thank you!

Guy
Male Author

USA
#4 | Posted: 14 Aug 2014 13:23
Don't feel bad Goodgulf, I have the same problem. Sometimes when I can't get close enough to the correct spelling of a word for the spell checker to help, Google works better. You get one of those helpful "Did you mean ..." responses.

jon7889
Male Member

USA
#5 | Posted: 14 Aug 2014 13:49
Another tool that i have used is a thesaurus. http://dictionary.reference.com has a good one. (It used to be better.)

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 14 Aug 2014 17:44
I used google, several thesauri, and even typing "What is the word that means..." in a couple of search engines. I even hit various pages that talked about anger and rage management (and learnt that shaking with rage is a common thing, at least among those who need anger management).

My problem was that I was mentally hearing a 'v' rather that the 'th' sound, which threw off everything search. Making a mistake like that renders most of my normal tools useless.

Goodgulf

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#7 | Posted: 15 Aug 2014 09:43
Simmering anger? perhaps (ie getting well heated and almost point of boiling). Thesaurus dot com is a great site for looking for alternative words. All you need to do is type whatever word you think of into Google search engine, plus ' synonyms' and you will be greeted with a multitude of options.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#8 | Posted: 15 Aug 2014 09:46
if you are stuck on the letter v you cold always use venomous rage.

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 15 Aug 2014 20:24
jools:
Simmering anger?

I see "seethe" also has another usage, meaning to boil, though that meaning must have fallen out of use, as I don't ever remember hearing anyone referring to a kettle seething, or bringing a pan of milk 'to the seethe'.

opb
Male Author

England
#10 | Posted: 16 Aug 2014 13:27
I was thinking 'simmering' too.

Another useful online utility is Rhyme Zone - not only does it act as a rhyming dictionary but there are options for synonyms and antonyms as well as 'similar sounding words'

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 11 : Guests - 7
Backbeat, bjones111, Dejo, Derrick30, DjZolt, james01, KenS, klapol, MrHomewood, oxford, rosslyn45
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9