library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

About Grimoire

ordalie
Female Member

France
#1 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 05:52
I think all of us would like to know a bit more about this Spanking Theatre who suddenly produces a masterpiece. To start with, is it a man or a woman?

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#2 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 08:03
You may start with his blog:

http://spankingtheatre.tumblr.com

ordalie
Female Member

France
#3 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 09:41
Thank you Alef! I'm surprised it isn't mentioned in the LSF blogs.

spankingtheatre
Male Author

England
#4 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 11:05
A bit of background to the story then.

It was born out of an idea I had a couple of summers ago, the notion of going against the flow, wandering into a city whilst others withdrew from it, and stumbling across a marvellous treasure. I knew immediately that the story would be written in the 1st person, looking back, and that the book they discovered would obsess them to the point they would be compelled to steal it.

And then, I went on holiday, and all my wonderful ideas evaporated from my mind as it basked in the summer sun.

But before that, I wrote them down.
Because, like the Chinese proverb says, the palest ink outlives the best memory.
Such is the power of the written word.

You do have a notebook don't you? A repository for all those thoughts and fragments that burst spontaneously into your mind, unbidden, often when your mind is idling. The best ideas never come from staring at a page, or a screen, but by staring at the sky. Ideas are too precious to throw away, just because you're busy.

And so my sketch for what would become Grimoire lay hibernating in my notebook for the next 18 months. During that time I dipped into my treasure trove several times, picking out nascent stories whose time I felt had come. Meanwhile Grimoire lurked. Unrealised. Waiting for a spark of sorcery to give it life.

Then, about 2 months ago, I saw the challenge inviting stories on the subject of theft. Somewhere in the dusty back room that is my memory I recalled I'd once conceived a story like that, but the details were hazy. So I opened my notebook. I'm not sure where my notebook actually is. It's about 50 pages in size, tiny really, one small virtual document, just one of billions held in a data centre somewhere. Perhaps it resides in an American desert, or a clearing in a frozen forest. Accessible through a very modern form of magic.

I searched for the word 'theft', but did not find what I was looking for. Then I tried 'steal'. And there it was, the idea for Grimoire, as fresh as when I'd first imagined it. The words buzzed with a seductive vibrancy. I knew then I had to breathe life into it.

It took me two weeks to write, edit and polish. The story grew in the telling. It evolved from the story of a crime to something more metaphysical, almost dream-like, a modern-day fairytale. Fellow fans of Borges may see echoes of his classic story The Zahir, though my story describes a subtly different obsession.

And that is the story of how Grimoire came to be.
It's a story of about the joy of reading, and the power of words.
And I'm delighted so many have enjoyed it.

I wish you all vivid and arousing dreams.

BashfulBob
Male Author

Ireland
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 13:46
Wow! Even your forum posts have a magical, mystical, ethereal quality. I can't wait for the other ideas in the notebook to be sparked into life. (Ever think of backing it up on a memory stick? Just in case!)

ordalie
Female Member

France
#6 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 16:22
Ever think of offering it as an e-book?

spankingtheatre
Male Author

England
#7 | Posted: 11 Mar 2014 00:23
@bashfulbob - I do have some online backups, but perhaps I should consider a physical backup too, I need a safe above my bed!

@ordalie - I have thought about it, not to make money, but to reach out to a wider audience. Because you never know what treats you can stumble upon in a bookshop...

ordalie
Female Member

France
#8 | Posted: 11 Mar 2014 14:08
spankingtheatre:
I have thought about it

Don't just think about it,^please, do it!

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 5
Filbert74, jimisim, ogard, proudrc09, Sugarcane
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9