LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Beta readers?

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
JessicaK
Female Author

Canada
#1 | Posted: 29 Apr 2013 23:05
Do writers here tend to use them? I've written something, and part of me wouldn't mind getting some feedback before making it 'public.' And clearly it won't be anybody I know IRL. Is this something people here often do? Is it vulgar to ask for volunteers, or to volunteer to fill that role myself for anyone seeking similar?

gail
Female Author

Canada
#2 | Posted: 29 Apr 2013 23:41
Not at all. If I want something read and an opinion before posting, I just send a popup or email to someone who I know appreciates the kind of genre I write, and they are ALWAYS willing to read and provide input or feedback.

A good clue is the pool of comments you have received and matching those to an author whose work you admire.

If you don't have anyone in mind, I would be more than happy to volunteer.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 00:00
I do for non spanking fiction, but not for what I write and post here.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 01:18
JessicaK:
Do writers here tend to use them?

Nope. Only once or twice has anyone seen a preview, and even then (although I listened to suggested and corrected typos that were discovered), the preview really wasn't for the purpose of a beta test. I'm perfectly happy to let a story succeed or fail based entirely on the efforts of me the author.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 01:28
I haven't used Betas, but I have gratefully accept proofreaders. Then again, in at least one instance a proofreader acted like a beta and made plot changes rather than pointing out typos. The resulting story was interesting, but not the one I wanted to tell.

Speaking of proofreading, I'm still wading through a 35,000 word story (to be posted in 12 or 13 parts) and if anyone wants to see an advanced copy so they can join the hunt for typos they are more than welcome.

Goodgulf

opb
Male Author

England
#6 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 08:12
I'll use a beta reader if I'm unsure about something. My most recent example was "Oh Boy!" which I sent to few friends here for their comments. This resulted in a word change to make the sense clearer.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#7 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 17:32
I sent my most recent story "Perceptions, Right or Wrong" out to a fellow author, not for grammar but as for points on how the story flowed and made it point. I appreciated his response as it helped clarify the story, and I managed to implement some of his suggestions and get the story back to make its point.

I have only done this with a few of my stories over the 2+ years I have been on site and only when I get lost in the story so much I cannot see the trees for the forest sort of affect.

CS

Minidancer
Female Author

England
#8 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 17:53
[quote=njrick]. I'm perfectly happy to let a story succeed or fail based entirely on the efforts of me the author.

I agree with Rick (about most things actually :giggle but especially about this. However bad my story is, it's my story...and i want to be responsible for it from start to finish.

gail
Female Author

Canada
#9 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 19:25
Minidancer:
it's my story...and i want to be responsible for it from start to finish.

I think this is a bit of a simplistic approach. Without taking anything away or adding anything to the author's work (ie. just providing opinions, not actual editing) a third party with an objective eye can provide significant value. We do this all the time in marketing where we preview work with trusted advisors like analysts. A small bit of insight can make a power full impact:
eg:
- perhaps the author missed an opportunity, at the expense of writing one small but powerful paragraph to create an erotic scene or develop some sexual tension arising from the result of an action (ie: spanking)
- perhaps there is too much text - white-space and section headings might help
- perhaps the author hasn't targeted a particular reader type/genre enough and the message is too bland for anyone. A smaller target audience and some focused 'messaging' and the same tuned piece can resonate amazingly

Anyway, each to their own. I don't do it often, but with a good reviewer (not editor!) the benefits can make all the difference

Minidancer
Female Author

England
#10 | Posted: 30 Apr 2013 19:45
I am simple! Lol

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 11
alfent, danjackson84, Joechangiowa, mobblers, sagitarius
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9