LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Authors: A question

Page  Page 7 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#61 | Posted: 22 Dec 2012 06:04
Overall I would say EVERY writer here wants to improve, no doubt about that in my mind. How one accomplishes that growth is entirely up to them.

What Blimp was saying in my opinion is that the first post in this thread comes across as patronising and haughty, like we are a bunch of country bumkins and you are here to save us all. First off we don't need saving, we do quite well by ourselves. Secondly, the writers here have grown a lot over the past few years, by practicing and encouragement from many on site.

You state you are new to the sight, but you proceeded to run down the comments made and come across like you can teach us so much. Maybe that was not your intent, however it certainly comes across that way to me and I would think to many others.

Maybe you can teach us a lot, but you will have to find a much more acceptable way of saying it. And like Blimp says, why say it at all, just do it and see if it helps. After you have been on site for two years or more, I am sure if the writers have been helped by your comments and suggestions, you and the rest of us will notice.

Let others say how good your comments and suggestions are, that will be the real proof in the pudding as they say. Blowing our own horn before proper proof is provided is not a good idea, but then again this is only my opinion.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#62 | Posted: 22 Dec 2012 06:20
SpankingFire:
Blimp, I appreciate you honesty, but find your tone to be cynical.

canadianspankee:
What Blimp was saying in my opinion is that the first post in this thread comes across as patronising and haughty,

I didn't think that SF's comments came across patronising. If they were, or if blimp came across as cynical, perhaps they were just channeling their "inner Marlowe." Why don't we ju st attribute it to that and all go have a drink? I know that I'D prefer that to some insufferable argument. Or we could read some more spanking stories (commenting on them. of course).

SpankingFire
Male Member

USA
#63 | Posted: 22 Dec 2012 08:02
I agree with Njrick that an argument does not need to be perpetuated here. I certainly would not want the great discussion and input of so many authors marred by how we *think* the other person is coming across.

I will admit that I may have been a bit critical of some comments (and unfairly so as I have read more of the comments posted here as I have become more familiar with the site) in my original post. I did state; however, that I had no desire to come across as a "know it all." I know that I have much to learn as a writer. Furthermore, I feel that I have no room to be overly critical until I have at least offered up some of my own work here to be "judged" by the readership of this site.

sixofthebest
Male Member

USA
#64 | Posted: 24 Dec 2012 18:36
I believe in criticism, be it positive or negative. Every spanko has a different opinion be the story to his liking or not. That does not mean a story is good or bad. It is just their own opinion. I like spanking stories, where the female gets spanked on the bare bottom by the male. That does not mean the reverse situation is bad. Only that the story is not my thing. What is important, and I believe very important, is that the author,and likewise the critic, have their say.

KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#65 | Posted: 26 Dec 2012 12:01
canadianspankee:
As writers of spanking fiction I would argue most if not all of us write what is happening in our real lives or what we WISH would or could happen in our real lives, either in the past, present or future.

At times but not always. I have seen pure fiction stories with spanking. Pick John Benson stories as an example. It is pure fantasy that could be written without the spanking and still maintain the interest as Fantasy&SF. Most of my stories are started in my head from the end, having no relation to my daily activities and only then I build the story to fit the end. And because I'm on a spanking site, I'll interweave a spanking in the story. Most of my stories come from a desire to tell an amusing story that would surprise and delight the reader with no relation whatsoever to my life.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#66 | Posted: 26 Dec 2012 14:39
njrick:
perhaps they were just channeling their "inner Marlowe." Why don't we ju st attribute it to that and all go have a drink?

I take it the Marlowe is Christopher. As for all going for a drink - what a good idea. All together, now.

Geoffrey
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#67 | Posted: 3 Jan 2013 09:46
You state you are new to the sight, but you proceeded to run down the comments made and come across like you can teach us so much. Maybe that was not your intent, however it certainly comes across that way to me and I would think to many others.

Maybe you can teach us a lot, but you will have to find a much more acceptable way of saying it. And like Blimp says, why say it at all, just do it and see if it helps. After you have been on site for two years or more, I am sure if the writers have been helped by your comments and suggestions, you and the rest of us will notice.

That's quote from Canadian Spankee and all I can say is he/she deserves a damn good spanking for saying it. I thought that Spanking Fire's original question was entirely genuine and put perfectly. It was quite undeserving of CS's comment.

Quite apart from that it has generated a lively and interesting debate.

Perhaps you were just having a bad day CS?

Geoffrey Stirling

blimp
Male Author

England
#68 | Posted: 3 Jan 2013 10:00
Geoffrey:
Perhaps you were just having a bad day CS?

Maybe you were having a bad day too Geoffrey? A quite unjustified attack on CS in my view. Anyway it's water under the bridge. Perhaps we can find something else to disagree on as its a brand new year!

DLandhill
Male Author

USA
#69 | Posted: 4 Jan 2013 14:51
SpankingFire:
I am new to this site and have yet to post a comment. Why? Mostly because it seems that the comments by others on here are a quick thanks or "I liked it. " I wonder, do you want more meaningful comments even if those comments contain some suggestions for improvement?

I, for one, like any comment shat shows that a reader has read and been affected by a story, even a simple "I liked it". But what I most want is significant analytic comment. (I started to say 'critical comment' but that might have been misunderstood.) I want to know what worked for a reader and WHY and even more what didn't work and why not. The more detail the better. The only think that might offend me is someone who says what a vile person I have to be to write a story such as X. A comment such as "You must be very stupid to post this story" wouldn't really offend, but isn't much help either. But "This story started out well but was ruined when you had the character do XYZ" I would love to get. i might well disagree, but I want to know how people react.

Several people above have said that they are not professional writers. I have actually sold a few spanking stories and had them published by pay sites (CF, mostly). But only a few, because I decided i liked sharing them online instead. I surely don't earn any significant cash this way. But I care about making my stories (at least my longer more serious stories, not limericks and such) as good as I can, and I like to think that I have a "professional" attitude toward this writing. Not all authors here feel the same way, however, and sometimes I forget that.

-Don L.

DLandhill
Male Author

USA
#70 | Posted: 4 Jan 2013 14:55
canadianspankee:
Overall I would say EVERY writer here wants to improve, no doubt about that in my mind. How one accomplishes that growth is entirely up to them.

What Blimp was saying in my opinion is that the first post in this thread comes across as patronising and haughty, like we are a bunch of country bumkins and you are here to save us all. First off we don't need saving, we do quite well by ourselves. Secondly, the writers here have grown a lot over the past few years, by practicing and encouragement from many on site.

The original post in this thread did NOT come across that way to me. I am much newer to this site than you are CS, but not new to writing and posting spanking fiction, and getting comments positive and negative on it. So many people read without ever commenting, and so many comments that are made are little more than "Great story" While those ar3 always nice to get, longer and more substantive ones are much nicer, in my view.

-Don L.

Page  Page 7 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 12 : Guests - 8
Alanrg, Bevier, dougmorton, Gecko, Hotscot, jezza, kanestrokes, mcfly108, meyer, Scot, soffit, tyson
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9