Authors: A question

Page  Page 2 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 02:51
Arcane359:
I don't mind constructive comments at all. I have a hard time editing my own writing because I know what I was trying to say and my brain tends to fool me sometimes by filling in what was supposed to be on the page rather than what my fingers actually typed.

Yes, I have that issue on occasion too--I know in my mind how I wish to portray a certain character or describe a particular situation, yet it doesn't always come across that way (in cyberprint) to a few readers, which is something I'd like to know about.

I've gotten into 'pop-up' discussions about characterization and plot development from both perspectives (reader and writer), and those have been useful to me from a writing perspective--whether the writers whose characters and/or plotlines I've discussed with them have benefitted from those conversations, I'm not certain about that.

Barring outright personal insults (which aren't a characteristic of this Library), AFAIC any commentary is welcomed... --C.K.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 02:57
Most comments to the 'negative' are not meant for the author at all. In most cases they are comments that involve plausibility, on the verge of abuse, abusive, and other situations that anger the reader. It's the story itself. However, I always thought this to be the mark of a good writer. If you can anger a reader by what takes place, (but not out and out physical abuse of your character), then the author has done his/her job damn well as far as I'm concerned.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 04:15
ditto what everyone said. Whatever type of comment you might leave, unless it is abusive, is welcome - perfunctory praise, constructive criticism, thoughtful reaction. And i generally will engage a commenter in conversation, if he/she takes the bait. - Rick Marlowe

SpankingFire
Male Member

USA
#14 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 05:49
I must say that I've enjoyed reading you replies. If I've learned anything from them it is that you all are more than authors -- you all are thinkers. Your honesty was refreshing.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#15 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 06:16
SpankingFire:
Why? Mostly because it seems that the comments by others on here are a quick thanks or "I liked it. "

I want and like comments on my writing, whether positive or negative makes little difference,

However I must disagree with what you say about "the comments by others..." Many are not quick thanks or just "I like it." I agree some are however first it should be clear that it takes a lot of courage for many to comment at all, and the Library admins do have guidelines as to what is allowed in comments. To even give the impression they are poor or rather useless comments is something that I believe is in poor taste.

There are many commenter's on site and I don't think the impression should be that 'anyone's comment are so much better because they know more or they am a professional', every comment has value and is appreciated in the spirit it was given.

Write whatever comment you want, most writers here will appreciate any help or comments that are given, but please do not run down or give the impression of running down the other commentors on site.

CS

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 12:03
canadianspankee:
I don't think the impression should be that anyone's comment 'is so much better because I know more

Except for mine, of course, because I DO know more.

yenz
Male Author

Denmark
#17 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 12:14
It is of course too late to change a story, once it has found its way into TSL; but please show me, what you think is wrong, I may disagree, but will be thankful.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#18 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 14:43
I can only re-echo the comments above. Criticism I welcome, as long as it is not personally offensive. Having said that a little praise occasionally is even more welcome!

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 15:58
Lincoln:
a little praise occasionally is even more welcome!

Your stories are great, Lincoln. (There - how's that?)

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#20 | Posted: 8 Dec 2012 18:15
njrick:
Your stories are great, Lincoln. (There - how's that?)

You've made my day Nick - I love you too!

Page  Page 2 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 4
alfent, danjackson84, freewilly, mobblers, sagitarius
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9