LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Duplicate story titles

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
RyanRowland
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 01:38
I was about to put a title on a story and realized it was likely to be common theme. And when I checked, I found a story and two series already with the same title. Then I found I'd inadvertently duplicated titles in the past without ever thinking to check first – and there are many duplicated titles by other authors.
So obviously, it is permitted for there to be multiple stories with the same title by different authors. Considering the large number of stories, it might be difficult to come up with a unique title, especially if it deals with a common theme. But is it considered to be bad form, to be minimized, if possible? Or is it completely a non-issue. Opinions??

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 02:03
jbeverly:
So obviously, it is permitted for there to be multiple stories with the same title by different authors.

As far as the site is concerned, it permits both the same title by different authors and also the same title by the same author (for example, Grace Brackenridge has 4 different stories all with the same title: Changes).

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 02:05
I don't see the problem. I know I have a couple duplicated titles myself, with some of mine dating back years before they were ever loaded here - so I don't know which came first - mine or some other author's. Since the author's name will clarify which story is which, I don't think there's going to be any mass confusion. I have plenty of other things I can be concerned about if I w to worry - was whether Pink will demolish the LSF's supply of crisps, whether we can ever determine the most popular story by using statistics, or will I be able to come up a story to enter in the next challenge.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 02:07
njrick:
Since the author's name will clarify which story is which

Februs:
Grace Brackenridge has 4 different stories all with the same title:

Ok - forget what I just said

myrkassi
Male Author

Scotland
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 02:15
It could, I suppose, lead to problems if a reader wished to find a certain story and was confronted with several stories with the same, or even similar titles, especially as the number of stories on the site increases. However, even with a common theme, it should be possible to come up with an original title - I don't think there were any duplicate titles in the recent 'through the keyhole' challenge, which was definitely a common theme. I hadn't thought of checking to see if story titles were duplicated before submitting a story, but I may do so in future. I don't think duplicating titles is 'bad form' - but it may result in fewer readers reading a story if they think it's one they read before...

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#6 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 03:17
I run my proposed titles through the Search option on site and see if any titles appear. If not then I use it. If it would be a duplicate I seek to change it, however I see little problem in having a duplicate title on site.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 05:46
I've got at least one duplicated title in mine. Sometimes you can't help it. The themes are similar, so therefore it follows that you naturally think of the same title.

opb
Male Author

England
#8 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 08:20
I think there's no problem with havign a duplicate title. The title of a piece of artwork is an integral part of it which informs, teases and entertains all in itself. For this reason I usually think carefully before naming a piece and the possibility that someone else might have used the title before me doesn't enter into it.

Authors don't refrain from writing the same storyline which another has used, some even write the same story themselves time and again - there are plenty of examples good and poor here- so why should we fight shy of a duplicate title if it seems appropriate?

I suppose now the question for our in-house statsmeister is What is the most frequently used title here on the LSF shelves.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:55
opb:
What is the most frequently used title here on the LSF shelves.

My bet's on "Back To School," which has been used for four different individual stories (including one of mine), plus one series, and one letter to a magazine.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#10 | Posted: 2 Dec 2012 15:38
There are duplicate titles. It happens. In fact at least 3 of my story titles are the same as or very similar to others. But a title is not copyrightable. That takes care of the legal issue. It can be confusing for someone looking for a specific work, I guess, but trial and error will get you to the right place. Not a big deal in my book.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 11
donut88, Hoddle, jogreenknickers, Nobmeister, Pembridge06, Seegee, xenmur
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9