LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Making Negative Comments

Page  Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5 »»
mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
#1 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 16:35
Do you ever make negative comments on stories? I did twice this weekend and I'm feeling a bit guilty. Now these were not stories which I thought were very poor, if that had been the case I would have said nothing and to be honest the Flopsy-filter usually weeds out anything which is sub-standard for the library.

I thought that, in one case, the CP was excessive and in the other the relationships between the main characters was rather confusing and not convincing, although in both cases I thought the stories were otherwise generally well-told and said so.

Now I'd never mind receiving this personally, as I go to a writing group where the participation assumes that people can be free to take things apart somewhat, but is this generally accepted here? I'd rather be told there's a major flaw in my work than for people to recite the plot back to me!

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#2 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 17:00
I don't think you need worry MC. I occasionally have comments I don't agree with but I don't take umbrage. I'd sooner have an honest comment than none at all.

It is never too late to learn!

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#3 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 17:28
I think I would prefer constructive criticism rather than a negative comment and yes it might smart a bit but I would prefer to know that not if someone had an issue with something I wrote.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#4 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 17:30
To me a comment is a comment is a comment, plain and simple.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 17:32
mobile_carrot:
I did twice this weekend and I'm feeling a bit guilty.

Don't! Unless, of course, you made the nasty comments in a nasty, derogatory way. I appreciate construction criticism (almost) as much as I do positive reinforcement.

If there's an aspect of a story I don't like, I'll find some way to say that while stil commenting positively on what I do like. If it's merely a matter of MY preferences, I'll often either remain quite about it, or star off by while something along the lines of "While this isn't my cup of tea," and then go on to say something positive. Sometimes, if the story was meant to seem more or less realistic, I'll make a distinction such as "Although this seems a bit extreme for real-life," and so forth. If I truly think something detracted from the story, I'll say that as well. It don't do this often, bbut I think it can be helpful.

I appreciate the same sort of candor from my readers. I may or may not agree with the commenter. If I don't I'll usually explain myself in a reply.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 17:43
I make comments about situations in a story all the time. What would I do if I were the person on the receiving end of some very severe CP. It's pretty normal. How many of us sit down to watch a movie and start yelling at the woman who falls down while running. (sorry ladies, but it's often a woman) We start yelling:

GET UP YOU IDIOT. OH YEAH! SIT THERE LIKE AN IDIOT. OH, YOUI'RE NOT HURT, GET YOUR ASS UP!

Same thing.

It's actually a compliment to the author if they can make you angry with a scene. My last 'long story' comment that I wrote about a character situation was, 'Summer Is Retrained.' If you haven't read this story you are truly missing out. F/Ff orientation. The father marries a young woman of 18. She has a sister who is 15. He as a daughter who is 20. An 18 year old stepmother?

You can see where this would lead to some great comments. It's a must.

corncrake
Female Author

Scotland
#7 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 17:54
I also think that there would be little purpose to this 'forum' were it not a vehicle for honest and forthright comment and debate. I could endorse all the previous remarks made on this thread as contributing to a healthy discussion and never a reason for feeling guilty!

bendover
Male Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 18:03
corncrake:
I could endorse all the previous remarks made on this thread as contributing to a healthy discussion and never a reason for feeling guilty!

Well said, Val.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#9 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 18:09
bendover:
My last 'long story' comment that I wrote about a character situation was, 'Summer Is Retrained.'

And the best plug of the month goes to... ta dah!!

I am so glad that after Rick retired we still have you Pat

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#10 | Posted: 7 Oct 2012 18:15
PinkAngel:
I am so glad that after Rick retired we still have you Pat

I only did self-plugs

Page  Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 11
Clarity, DAdams, dund93, fvsoler, Hotscot, hydegreen, Kin37, steply, waladom