library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

The 50/50 club - defining the Library's "most popular" story?

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
bendover
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 8 Oct 2012 19:27
njrick:
But is it the BEST story? I'd hesitate to call any story the "best" story here in the Library, as there are so many good ones (even among the relatively few that I've read), and tastes vary. Having checked out all stories at the top of these three "popularity" lists, I can say that they're all pretty good (with the possible exception of that comment-grubbing exercise), so that it appears that to be "popular," a story pretty much has to be "good." As for "The Talk" itself, I think it holds its own against pretty much any story here in the Library. You don't have to take my word for it, though - you can read it yourself!

I tend to think that jim is simply talking about overly praising a few authors works compared to those that have not reached a level of 'most favored' in the library. Not that the rest of us are hanging our heads in shame because we haven't accomplished that.

Jim, I think Rick's last paragraph that I have quoted here says a bit about what you've stated, and he really said it well. There are so many stories in the library that could reach the 50x50 I'm sure, but people tend to love the story and comment, but no all will click on the heart. Actually, I've only clicked on a few of them myself. It's simply because they're always at the library and I can always read them over and over again. I feel that my comments will show that I truly favor a particular story.

smeple
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 8 Oct 2012 19:39
Hey, I LIKE obscure statistics (And baseball. If I knew how cricket was played, I'd probably like that too). So keep posting them, njr.

As for whether they are interesting or UNinteresting, I think that is up to the reader to decide.

Here is a (potentially) interesting statistic: Based solely on this current thread, I believe that 9 out of 10 LSF members like reading about these statistics.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 8 Oct 2012 21:01
Surprisingly enough I was thinking about the obsessive abuse of statistics in both baseball and that game that Americans play and wrongly call football, when I wrote that piece.

I am a cricket fan, I hope to spend every summer Saturday on the village green watching my son play for the local team, and try to get to the odd test match when possible. Strangely enough most cricket fans only care about batting and bowling averages.
All the other stats are really just a bit of fun to fill in while the fast bowler is walking back or between overs and wickets.

Let's face it in any football game or competitive sport there is only one statistic that matters a damn and that is who won

I feel I must apologise to NJR as I read the thread and thought OMG he's off on one of his statistical nonsenses again. Nothing personal you understand.

It wasn't related to the story as I know very well which stories I like and which I don't like, but as the French say "Chacun to his son's gout." Shouldn't have added the port to the evening bottle to get him to sleep through night.

erhaps we should have a sub-topic entitled: Lies, damned lies and statistics.

On a more serious note I abhor the element of competition that has recently crept into the KSL, and I think that Kilahara would have as well. I don't mind the competitions -they're a bit of fun.

I write for enjoyment and it would appear that from my reading stats quite a few enjoy my stories.
that is all I desire, to enjoy writing a story, hoping it will entertain at least a few readers; and to hopefully find a few stories that I enjoy reading.

It would be nice though to get back to the badinage and joshing that was so enjoyable in the early days.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 8 Oct 2012 21:40
jimisim:
It would be nice though to get back to the badinage and joshing that was so enjoyable in the early days.

I josh and banter with the best of them (well, maybe not THE best, because Pink is in a class by herself, but certainly in the next tier). And if I knew what badinage is, I'm pretty sure I can do that well too (though I don't know if there is a statistic that could prove it). And the banter STILL goes on here on the Forum. I'm been bantering on a few threads just in the past few days.

I start a lot of threads recognizing when authors and commenters reach milestones. Why, I believe the commenters DESERVE some appreciation and recognition. And the authors, even if they're not writing "to the numbers," I feel should get a little extra pat on the back when they clearly have "spoken" to a great number of readers. Anybody who keeps writing is going to get there. I'll be happy to acknowledge the 100th author who reaches a thousand comments. I WANT the authors to keep going.

The challenges recognize authors in another way - and often authors who aren't among the most prolific or "popular," just because they're anonymous.

Most of my own reading these days is divided in two categories. The first is checking out stories from MY favorite authors, whether or not they have been especially prolific, and whether or not they (or their stories - because it's truly about the stories) seem to get much recognition.

The second category is mining the library for the seldom-viewed stories, often by obscure autors. There are some gems her. My recent "Story of the Day" nomination was in that category - a story loaded here 3 years ago, by an author who's not active here and hasn't written anything new in years. That story had NO comments from its few readers before I made the first. I nominated it not because it was "popular" (because it obviously wasn't), but because it was GOOD (and overlooked."

More people should take the effort to find those obscure stories. And for those who are too lazy, the SOTD is an excellent way for those more energetic "miners" to bring their finds to everyone else's attention.

Oh - and I comment on the stories I read - close to 40% of them anyway. Not Sebastion or CS by any stretch of the imagination, but far more than most. And I do this NOT to boost anyone's statistics, but because I want to five feedback and reinforcement to the authors.

I find statistics are fascinating. I apologize to anyone who disagrees (and to my baseball-loving friends, I apologize for the apology). But raw statistics are meaningless - mere numbers. It's how they can be analyzed to find the "truths" behind them. Their areo opf course, charlatans (i.e., anyone who disagrees with my conclusions), who claim teh numbers support a premise that is false.

jimisim:
I feel I must apologise to NJR as I read the thread and thought OMG he's off on one of his statistical nonsenses again. Nothing personal you understand.

Apology accepted. And I WAS off on one of my statistical rants - one that I thought, of course, was rather interesting.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#15 | Posted: 8 Oct 2012 23:34
Keep up the stats stuff NJ, I for one like it. Only thing is, could you please find a stat that says people should send me money. That is a stat I would certainly appreciate even more then the ones you do post...LMAO.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 8 Oct 2012 23:38
canadianspankee:
could you please find a stat that says people should send me money.

Try as I might, I can't seem to find the numbers here that spell out your bank balance. Perhaps Februs has it in code. I'm sure that would be plenty persuasive.... unless, of course, you have a small (or large) fortune stashed away. If so, then you're probably already doing a good job of getting people to give you money, which means you don't need my assistance. [1]

[1] - Joshing and bantering.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#17 | Posted: 9 Oct 2012 10:19
njrick:
I josh and banter with the best of them (well, maybe not THE best, because Pink is in a class by herself, but certainly in the next tier).

This is of course very true... you can but hope to reach my dizzying heights (well I am tall *shrugs*)

Rick, every time you start a new statistics thread I do swear under my breath but with a small smile. I do also then click on the damn thing if only so I can roll my eyes, again with a grin!! Please just be you and quote your stats as much as you like.

smeple
Male Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 9 Oct 2012 21:57
canadianspankee:
Only thing is, could you please find a stat that says people should send me money.

I'm sure if you post the name of your bank, your bank account number, your date of birth, and some other key identifying info, one of us here in the LSF can figure out how to, uh, send you money.

annamarie376
Female Member

USA
#19 | Posted: 11 Oct 2012 15:41
I looked up The Talk and realized I've already read it. I found it when I was playing with the stats button.

I don't know much about cricket, (OK nothing really), but it looks like their bats (sorry if that's an incorrect term) could be used as spanking implements. I'm not sure because I've never seen one in real life. Just on PPV advertisements. Would someone clear this up for me, please?

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 10
danjackson84, haganbrns, PGreenham
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9