LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Eight Tips for Writing Short Stories

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#11 | Posted: 17 Aug 2012 09:27
I totally disagree with 8. It isn't satisfying to be able to predict EVERYTHING! Save at least a small bit as a surprise nearer the end. I also like the idea of mixing elements of conflict with success... it can be a bit depressing to read a story where everything goes wrong for most of the characters throughout. And the one rewarded character would most likely come across as dislikeable to most readers. So many of the points made here shouldn't be followed as rules in every short story. Also, wouldn't following a list of rules to the letter make the stories rather generic? Rules are meant to be broken. Especially when the worst that can come from breaking them around here is a spanking!

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 17 Aug 2012 10:08
jools:
Rules are meant to be broken

Exactly! That should be added as rule #9.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 17 Aug 2012 11:14
To paraphrase an old proverb:
Authors that live by the rules die by the rules.

I Wikipeaded him after this entry-hows that for continuing professional development- and was fascinated to see that he survived Dresden in an underground slaughterhouse.
I must read at least that book shortly.

SNM
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 19 Aug 2012 07:17
Iconoclast13:
I must have read Cat's Cradle twelve to fifteen years ago, yet the thought that something like Ice-9 might one day be developed still gives me the willies.

I, on the other hand, wish I had a jar of it every time someone links me to Cracked.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 8
Caddiejo, Geoffrey, Heroth, highlander1969, laura82, lesni
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9