library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

A Question about Tawses - Help me with my story!

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
imreadonly2
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 15 Aug 2012 14:05
I was thinking about writing a scene in a story where the characters in a store discuss and debate the merits of two finger versus three finger tawses.

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions they'd like to share, or any practical experiences? Why would you buy one versus the other? Is one more or less painful? Is their a price difference?

What else would one look for in buying a tawse, and what features might a shopkeeper eager to sell one point out.

Note your answers may find their way into my fictional story.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 15 Aug 2012 15:04
In my experience two-finger tawses, surprisingly enough, are more effective than three or four-finger tawses. Not quite sure why this should be - though of course you'd need to carry out a controlled experiment, with implements absolutely identical apart from the number of fingers, to be certain. (Come to think of it, that could be rather fun. "Hmm, not sure if that was quite conclusive, my sweet. We'd better try another couple of dozen with each, just to be on the safe side...")

As for prices, maybe check out the London Tanners site?

bendover
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 15 Aug 2012 15:19
For years we have what is known as the Bayfest where I live. It's put on at the boardwalk. There was for several years a leather stand that sold whips, tawses, straps, strops, and leather paddles. I remember the one tawse described as the 'snake tongue tawse' and always used it in my stories when I decided to use one.

It was split down the middle with pointed edges. The strips were six inches long and it was a Y shape, but the V part was much closer together. I was wearing shorts and she whacked me once. Let me tell you, it got my attention and the attention of smiling onlookers.

I never felt any others, but I have to agree with Phil and take his word for it.

titch
Male Member

England
#4 | Posted: 15 Aug 2012 15:25
PhilK:
Come to think of it, that could be rather fun. "Hmm, not sure if that was quite conclusive, my sweet. We'd better try another couple of dozen with each, just to be on the safe side...")

If Phil thinks it could be fun, he is obviously planning to be the one wielding the tawse but I do agree with him about two tailed being more effective than three or four tailed. Again there are two tailed tawses and two tailed tawses, some vastly superior to others. Thickness and weight have a lot to do with the sting as does quality, you can buy a strap purporting to be a tawse but used side by side with the genuine article, no comparison! A genuine tawse is not a cheap implement but they are beautifully made, built to last, and last but by no means least, they sting like a hive of very angry bee's. Again it depends who is using the tawse! If the top knows how to use it properly, the bottom will certainly know about it.

My Domme always puts hers on a radiator or somewhere warm prior to use, she says it makes the leather more supple, I wouldn't argue against this but I can honestly say it never failed to get my attention once she got down to business

Personally I like to receive the tawse, not that it is any fun at the time by any means but it leaves an amazing glow in your bottom for several hours afterwards.

I am no expert on the history and I am sure that many companies make good quality straps/tawses but by far the most famous are the Lochgelly Tawse, manufactured in Scotland, if you are interested I am adding a link to the web site of possibly the most famous maker of the Lochgelly Tawse, their site gives a history of the tawse.

http://www.johndick-leathergoods.co.uk/the-true-history-of-the-lochgelly-tawse-memori es.html

corncrake
Female Author

Scotland
#5 | Posted: 15 Aug 2012 22:10
titch:
always puts hers on a radiator or somewhere warm prior to use, she says it makes the leather more supple.

Those of us of a certain age in Scotland will agree with the above strategy. However, in a normal classroom situation, the tawse tended to be kept warm over the shoulder of the teacher - kept in place of course by the heavy academic gown - and always ready for use!

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 16 Aug 2012 00:17
I would think that the reason that two tailed tawse hurts more than three tailed tawse is because they are more narrow. Wider instruments look more formidable than narrower instruments but the reverse is true. Given equal thickness and material a more narrow strap, paddle, etc. will be more painful than a wider one because all the force that the spanker imparts to it is concentrated into a smaller area. That is why a cane, switch or whip is so painful as all the kinetic energy is applied to a small area thus causing more damage.

Size does matter, but for spanking implements it is the reverse of what you would think.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 16 Aug 2012 07:14
Two tails do hurt more than three, but the key factors really come down to length and thickness of the leather. And of course the skill of the wielder.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 16 Aug 2012 08:59
I hadn't heard about the warming of it before, but now I know it's something I'm going to remember for the future.

titch
Male Member

England
#9 | Posted: 16 Aug 2012 14:04
corncrake:
However, in a normal classroom situation, the tawse tended to be kept warm over the shoulder of the teacher - kept in place of course by the heavy academic gown

ROFL yes and this is also something my Domme as done. She spanked away merrily and there was no sign of her tawse warming and so I thought my bottom was safe, until she took it from down her cardigan where it had been sitting, warming, waiting to join the fun (or not!) I think this was done for devilment though!

Also I see the logic of narrower implements being the more painful and have felt the proof but it is not always the case, I can think of one quite wide strap that packs an awesome wallop but obviously there will be exceptions.

I personally don't like thick straps or for that matter, thick implements, as they tend to land with a thud, rather than a whack or crack and I think the sound is a big part of the enjoyment, as with the swish and crack of a cane.

imreadonly2
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#10 | Posted: 16 Aug 2012 15:08
Thank you for the great insights on two versus three. I had assumed three was more severe, but now I understand that size doesn't always matter. J

I noticed that the old fashioned Lochgelly Tawse was made from a single strip of leather, and hand a much less elaborate handle. The newer ones had metal fasteners, which takes away from the effect somewhat, at least for me. I like the antique feel of the instrument, and the idea that it has been in use for centuries. On the other hand, the ones with the fasteners also seemed to have more elaborate handles, with more beveling and decorative stitching and such, which would seem to allow for a better grip.

Most of them seem to have a hole or loop on the end, so that it can be hung up by a hook in a cupboard, or put on display. The latter seems like a particularly good idea, as I'm sure the sight of it hanging by the door would inspire extra goodness in every little miscreant who saw it. Or perhaps not...

Some seem to prefer the split finger approach, but at least for purposes of the story I think I'm going with the more traditional model. And I've just decided to add a radiator to the store.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 2
Alef, Zachary314159
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9