The 'No Actual Spanking' icon

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 10 Mar 2010 04:41
bendover:
Linda
I noticed that the stories that have 'No Actual Spanking' get less reads. This can be seen in a lot of the serials that are published. The part numbers with the spankings written into play have more reads. This is kind of sad because they're not getting the full story. Also, the bigger the word count, the less they're read.

I've extracted this from the 'What makes you click on a story thread' as we've had a number of correspondences about it in the past and I'd like to clear up any misunderstandings. The first thing I have to say is that the 'No Actual Spanking' (NAS) icon should not be seen as something negative and in fact a more detailed examination shows that the above comments are actually not true, stories with a NAS icon get just as many reads as stories without the icon.

Take for example a serial which was only loaded a few days ago, And Then He Kissed Her by R Humphries the views at the time of writing are as follows:

Part 05 9 (NAS)
Part 06 9 (NAS)
Part 07 9 (NAS)
Part 08 8
Part 09 6
Part 10 7
Part 11 7 (NAS)
Part 12 9 (NAS)
Part 13 7
Part 14 7
Part 15 8 (NAS)
Part 16 6
Part 17 10 (NAS)
Part 18 7
Part 19 9 (NAS)
Part 20 8
Part 21 13 (NAS)

The point of the NAS icon, like all the other content icons we introduced is to let people know as much as we possibly can about a story or serial chapter etc before they read it. It's clear from looking at the statistics and observing activity that the majority of readers are NOT influenced one way or another by the icon but previously we have had members endlessly flicking through stories without actually reading any and on the occasion I asked them why they were doing that they claimed they simply wanted to read accounts of spanking. One person managed to flick through over 400 in an hour which is something we'd very much like to discourage!

So, as I see it, the logic is as follows. Either you're happy to read spanking fiction irrespective of whether a particular submission contains a description of an actual spanking (the vast majority in my experience), in which case you're not going to be put off by it OR you only want to read stories or chapters that contain the description of an actual spanking in which case you're going to be disappointed if you click on something to view and it doesn't have any.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings about its use and significance and personally some of the best items in the library contain no actual spanking description. Not only that but one of the library's articles with the NAS icon also has the most comments.

jsanon
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 10 Mar 2010 16:31
I appreciate Februs' direction here. I have written a couple of pieces I consider amusing that have no spanking in them but are about spanking, parodies of other types of writing ( a self evaluation test; a do-it-yourself piece; verses). I think readers at first want to read old-fashioned spanking stories, but there are only so many times one can read the same type of thing, and then a reader who has a real obsession with the subject, as many do, wants to find other ways to explore this "kink."

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#3 | Posted: 10 Mar 2010 19:21
In my opinion there is SO much more to a spanking story than the actual deed. I would never judge a story on just the content icon as I get so much more enjoyment from something, unusual, clever, funny or that has a twist, than I do from a... (spank) I said (spank)... type story. There is definitely room for all types of story in this library but don't write anything off because of this icon.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#4 | Posted: 10 Mar 2010 19:55
I think we could safely assume, that since this is The Library of Spanking Fiction, everything here will be related to the topic. Even if a story or chapter has a 'No Actual Spanking' icon, it will surely be about the 'crime' which leads to the spanking, the anticipation of or preparation for a spanking, the aftermath of a spanking etc.

Articles, for example, have no actual spanking, but are exclusively about the subject.

And I have to agree that there is much more to a spanking story than, SPANK -"Ouch!"

bendover
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 11 Mar 2010 00:30
Sorry! Didn't mean to deter people from reading the NAS stories. It was just something that I noticed myself. I agree that there are a number of stories NAS that are not only written well, but also have a tendency to put a lump in one's throat.

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 5
Bluke, Lizchurch, lurkingcol, wynchrls, zinnober
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9