Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Guy
Male Author

USA
#11 | Posted: 18 Sep 2015 12:53
[
CrimsonKidCK:
Often123:
I don't always welcome new authors but do try to check new story postings and comment.
Uh-oh, is flopsybunny going to give me a smackbottom? ;)

Ahhhh, I'd venture that's as good a way as any to welcome a new author, by commenting on an early story of his/hers, plus perhaps including a "Welcome to the Library" remark within the commentary.

With or without forum participation, I think Flopsy's new author announcements are important because they alert us to new authors. If we want the library to keep growing, it's vital that we do whatever we can to keep new author's work from languishing without notice. Authors come and go, live and die, and are drawn away by new interests just like any other mortals. We will always need an incoming flow of new talent.

I would like to point out that the concepts of welcoming a new author in a story comment and welcoming them here here in the forum are both wonderful things for members to do, and therefore things that we should be doing. But they are not mutually exclusive. It's perfectly OK to do both.

Welcoming them in a story comment is great because it shows that you have cared enough to take the trouble to read a new author's work and to comment on it. Also, a new author may not even know about the forum and could miss a welcome here, but will more likely read comments.

So why bother with a forum welcome? To welcome the new author not only to the LSF itself, but to the forum! Unfortunately, only a small subset of members and authors seem to be active on the forum. A forum welcome for a new author gives us a shot at drawing much needed "new blood" and new ideas into the forum.

So why not do both?

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#12 | Posted: 20 Sep 2015 21:12
We should also be welcoming new members as well as new authors. Very important. These new members are the future readers of these new and old authors.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 5
Balor, BashfulBob, rabbitrun, Unfortunate
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9