The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Noticeboard /

SOPA - the future of the internet is at risk

Page  Page 4 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4
Guy
Male Author

USA
#31 | Posted: 20 Jan 2012 20:12
OK it's a clear win...for now.

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lawmakers stopped anti-piracy legislation in its tracks on Friday, delivering a stunning win for Internet companies that staged an unprecedented online protest this week to kill the previously fast-moving bills ..."

Google for more. It's all over the news

As others have said, there are two sides to this story. I'm a big believer in due process, even when it seems "too hard". I'm all for protecting intellectual rights, but the Internet community has a right to be part of the discussion. This legislation was written by the media moguls who planned to impose it on the rest of the world without anyone else having a say.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#32 | Posted: 20 Jan 2012 20:19
Many laws achieve their goals merely by shifting the burden of proof. If the burden is shifted to the party who can least afford to litigate, that person is the loser by fiat. That's what this law does and this invites powerful interests to misuse the law in ways that were not intended.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#33 | Posted: 20 Jan 2012 20:44
It's proof that the US or UK or any government doesn't need to babysit for these companies. They need to take care of changing their own dirty diapers. If someone is pirating their materials, let them complain to the proper authorities through the proper channels. I'm so tired of these lawmakers telling other countries how to live, when they act like a bunch of elementary school kids themselves.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#34 | Posted: 20 Jan 2012 20:59
rollin:
Many laws achieve their goals merely by shifting the burden of proof. If the burden is shifted to the party who can least afford to litigate, that person is the loser by fiat. That's what this law does and this invites powerful interests to misuse the law in ways that were not intended.

This is exactly what had been happening in the UK and termed 'speculative invoicing'. The idea is you send out tens of thousands of 'pay up or else' letters on the assumption that a lot of ordinary people will be intimidated into paying irrespective of whether they have done anything illegal or not. It's basically creating a 'guilty until proven innocent' scenario with a get out clause where you get to stump up whatever amount is being demanded. On top of that, the software used to determine who's illegally downloaded what is notoriously flaky with the inevitable outcome that a whole host of people get falsely accused. One particular firm in the UK, ACS:Law, had been 'speculatively invoicing' on behalf of a couple of film producers and one wonders why the general public are less than trusting of the media companies currently seeking to influence the US Government.

Anyway, in the case of ACS:Law the proverbial chickens eventually came home to roost and the solicitor behind it was suspended for 2 years and ordered to pay £76,000:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16616803

There is no doubt that copyright violation is distressing for the copyright owner as well as potentially depriving them of income but two wrongs do not make a right and everything I see and hear tells me the media companies are not to be trusted, nor are they likely to be reasonable or behave responsibly.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#35 | Posted: 22 Jan 2012 21:01

Page  Page 4 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 10
Andrew14, Backbeat, bexxie13, DAdams, proxduke, remobrat, yenwen89
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9